Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2012 05:00

Dell Optiplex 780 upgrade VGA drivers issue

Hi people, I need some help with mi Optiplex 780.

The problem is a failure when I update the VGA driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450.

The computer launch a blue screen error, related with the hardware (VGA) when the driver recognise the video card.

Only a official dell drivers is suporrted? or maybe is a fail of the computer or/its configuration?

What can i do to upgrade the driver of the video card with the official ATI driver and not with the dell drivers?

Thanks in advance for  your time and sorry about my english, because I spanish from Spain.

Best regard. Bye ;)

7 Posts

February 6th, 2012 12:00

Finally I found a fix for this issue. The first thing to say; There is a MAYOR BUG present in all bios models, including A012 revision, the last. So Dell take a note, if they wish to resolve this "by the way"  on easy steps, move forward to solve this MAYOR FAIL, presented due the combination of Dell computer with Ati Graphics card or something like that. (760 /780 optiplex series and a think  there are some other models afecteds).

The solution is just below:

Unplug all USB hardware during ATI Catalyst installation only the first part (mouse and keyboard too).

If you use a wireless mouse: click on install, unplug fastly usb mouse adapter, after hardware detection, plug again your adapter.

Thats all, please note this is an unofficial mode to solve this issue, but works fine if your windows crashes with a blue screen and you receive a message about "faulty drivers" on the firts prhases of that blue screen error.

Because I Spanish I write the solution in that language to simplifing the forms to fix it.

(Como soy español escribo la solución en esta lengua para simplificar la manera de solventar este error)

Spanish:

Finalmente he encontrado la solución para solventar este error. Lo primero que he de decir: Este es un BUG SEVERO, presente en todas las revisones de BIOS, incluida la última A012. Dell deberia tomar nota, si así lo desean para solventar dicho error "de manera sencilla" en pasos fáciles de seguir, adelantandose para reparar el grave error, presente en una combinación  entre un ordenador Dell con una tarjeta Ati o quizás similares.(Optiplex 760 /780 y es posible que otros modelos).

La solución a continuación:

Durante la detección del hardware, justo despues de darle a siguiente, descontecta todos los dispositivos USB de tu ordenador(También teclado y ratón).

Si usas un ratón inalámbrico: click en install(instalar) y desenchufa el receptor del ratón del ordenador, enchufalo de nuevo.

Esto es todo. Por favor pensad que este método no es oficial, pero funciona perfectamente si has recibido una pantalla azul de windows donde se refiera en las primeras líneas algo de "faulty driver".

No voy a explicarlo en modo noob, pienso que es fácil de entender.

I don´t explain this in a noob mode, i think is easy to understand.

Saludos cordiales

Best regards.

5 Posts

September 18th, 2012 20:00

Yes, I managed to install the latest Catalyst drivers, using your workaround fix. :)

Dell moderator, I know you removed my previous post. But PLEASE address this issue. You guys list no fix or workaround. Dell, get this fixed!

3.7K Posts

February 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi people, I need some help with mi Optiplex 780.

The problem is a failure when I update the VGA driver for ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450.

The computer launch a blue screen error, related with the hardware (VGA) when the driver recognise the video card.

Only a official dell drivers is suporrted? or maybe is a fail of the computer or/its configuration?

What can i do to upgrade the driver of the video card with the official ATI driver and not with the dell drivers?

Thanks in advance for  your time and sorry about my english, because I spanish from Spain.

Best regard. Bye ;)

You did not say which model of the 780 you have, and what OS you have. Have you tried downloading the driver from the ATI site HERE.

7 Posts

February 6th, 2012 06:00

Sorry about that, and thanks for your concern ;).

Here the complete description of my computer:

Dell Optiplex 780 Small form factor with 235 Watts PSU power output.

Intel Core2Duo E7500 2,93 GHZ.

4 GB DDR 3 memory.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450 with 256 MB.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1 .

I check your link, thanks for all and sorry again for the poor information i said.

5 Posts

September 17th, 2012 23:00

Any word if Dell will fix this issue in the BIOS side? I have a 780MT w/ a Radeon HD 6670 and I got the BSOD unless I removed all my USB devices before the "detecting..." stage

7 Posts

September 18th, 2012 02:00

Currently Dell has been update the system bios to revision A013, unfortunately the changes on this update don´t talk about this issue... but take a try.

About your request, this tip only works with a Catalyst driver 12.1. (I need to check this on the computer of mi bro, is the same model, because i forgot the exact driver version)

Sorry I can not provide more help, because is a strange error with no documentation, and Dell clean up your hands about the issue.

Regards.

5 Posts

September 18th, 2012 07:00

I've tried A013 and the machine still experiences this issue. I tried the latest Catalyst drivers (12.8) and the workaround you provided is still needed because A013 doesn't fix it. Thanks for the workaround, Alberto_RP

Dell, please address this issue!

5 Posts

September 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi Alberto_RP,

I meant to say that removing all USB devices while installing Catalyst 12.8 works. I'm just noting that the bug still exists regardless of what Catalyst drivers (old or new) you're using., even with the newest Catalyst drivers.

7 Posts

September 18th, 2012 14:00

The correct version of Catalyst driver in 12.3. download here x64

downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.3-WHQL-64-bit-download-2892.html

or here for x86(32bit version)

downloads.guru3d.com/AMD-Catalyst-12.3-WHQL-32-bit_d2891.html

Please try with this version, and disconnet every usb of your sistem including card readers if you have one.

if you follow the solution shown on this post you can install drivers without problems.

It works fine on HD 6XXX series.

Regards.

7 Posts

September 18th, 2012 15:00

OK it´s just an issue on the translation process because I spanish  and I don´t understand well your comment.

you've finally managed to install drivers? that´s the question?

Dell simply don´t take care about this issue, for sure.

7 Posts

September 19th, 2012 03:00

12.8 works fine according to your experience.

It´s a good information about this issue to help people, and yes optiplex is a major pain itself ;) and Dell of course it, but I´m glad to see you are capable of installing drivers properly.

Regards.

No Events found!