Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2012 06:00

Dell Optiplex 790: how to mute speakers always but leave headphones working

On an earlier Dell Optimplex we simply unplugged the external speakers (our PCs are deployed in a library setting). However, for the Optiplex 790 we were wondering how to disable the speakers and enable headphones without pulling the hardware appart. I don't see a headphones icon to enable under SOUND and disabling speakers disables the headphones as well (they are listed as a jack under the speakers). Any thoughts? Thank you. Ann.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 16th, 2012 15:00

Hi Ann,

Are you using Windows 7?

February 17th, 2012 04:00

Yes, I'm using Windows 7. There's no headphones icon in the Playback tab when I have headphones in the front jack. Ann

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2012 05:00

Ann,

The speakers should normally be disabled when you plug headphones into the headphone jack. If that isn't working, there may be a problem with your hardware.

February 17th, 2012 05:00

The speakers are disconnected when we plug the headphones in but I want to permanently silence the speakers because in a library setting you don't want sound if the headphones get removed. I don't see an icon for headphones to enable: when I disable the speakers the front jack also doesn't work. There's no headphones device. I was thinking maybe USB headphones might show up... Ann

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2012 15:00

Ann,

Sorry, now I understand. I know of no way to disable sound from the speakers that would leave the headphone jack live, other than unplugging the speakers or switching them off, if they have an on/off switch.

February 18th, 2012 05:00

Well, thank you. I thought so--last time we did unplug the speakers but it was simpler: now it appears you have to remove so much to disconnect them. I guess disabling windows sounds and plugging in headphones will have to do! Ann

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 18th, 2012 07:00

You're welcome.

No Events found!