Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2013 11:00

Dell Optiplex 9020 Windows XP 32bit Drivers

Our laboratory software requires windows XP 32 bit, so I need to find drivers for this OS for this model.  I have had no luck so far, can anyone point me in the right direction

February 13th, 2015 10:00

Thanks, sorry for the necro, i did however find working drivers for the Intel-I217-LM  network card here:

download.msi.com/.../LAN_x32_11.zip

found it by going through this thread 

community.spiceworks.com/.../501189-dell-9020-nic-drivers

This solved the problem i was having for my new Optiplex 7020 which uses the same driver apparently.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

February 18th, 2015 15:00

For the most part there are no drivers. If you insist on using xp get older models that do support xp.  Optiplex 620 machines are very inexpensive.

The NIC driver seems to work from msi

http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/LAN_x32_11.zip

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 1st, 2013 12:00

13 Posts

November 1st, 2013 12:00

Sorry - I should have started with I need network drivers.

Did Google, went there - tried the drivers listed there and they aren't helping, broadcom installs and says everything  is good, but no network card (it's not a broadcom as far as I can tell) appears, there are not any Intel ones for Windows XP 32 bit on that page.

Hardware ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A&SUBSYS_05A41028&REV_4

Intel I believe

But Googling the string get's this

"Your search - PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A&SUBSYS_05A41028&REV_4 - did not match any documents.

Suggestions:

• Make sure all words are spelled correctly.
  • Try different keywords.
  • Try more general keywords.

Tried searching just
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A

And got to Intel's page for this
File name: PRO2K3XP_32.exe Version:18.3

It does not detect the card, but that is most likely because it is a built in one on the motherboard made by Dell,they always point you back to the manufacturer for things like that.

And so now I am here

13 Posts

November 1st, 2013 13:00

Yeah, started there. Just got off the phone with Dell, we looked everywhere, even on Intel's site

:(

sending PM

18 Posts

Hello LLQUINN,

You can review your system details here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs Enter the service tag and then go to the configuration tab. If you are unable to locate the network device in the order list then send me a private message with your service tag and I can check for you.

Thanks

13 Posts

And can't figure out how to PM you

18 Posts

November 1st, 2013 14:00

Hello LLQUINN, if you look in upper right next to your username. There should be a Tab for Messages>you should see a button to send a message.

Thanks

13 Posts

November 1st, 2013 18:00

We are running an LIMS called PowerPath. It's client is tied into Word 2003 and Windows XP. We are working toward the enormous upgrade (we are the pathology dept in a big hospital) so nothing moves quickly. We are probably 6 to 9 months out before we can get the client to work on windows 7with Office 2007. It's not just the PowerPath product, we have 10 years of custom applications written around this system that depends on it being the way it is, it too will have to be adjusted.

This is the hardware ID of the network card, it is an Intel but it is built in. Dell says they don't have a driver and Intel says see Dell.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 1st, 2013 18:00

Our laboratory software requires windows XP 32 bit, so I need to find drivers for this OS for this model.  I have had no luck so far, can anyone point me in the right direction

What laboratory software are you running?

I've had quite a bit of success running scientific instruments designed for Windows XP or earlier on Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/instrumentation-strathclyde/

It would probably be more advisable for you to try and get the software to work on Windows 7 32 bit as Windows XP reaches its End of Life in less than 6 months.

It looks like there are Intel and Broadcom Ethernet adapters for this model.

Please tell me the hardware IDs of any unknown devices in the device manager.

Edit: Sorry from the hardware ID it is the one:

Intel - Network - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM

It looks like there is no XP driver for it but you can maybe try installation of the Windows 7 32 Bit via device manager:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18713&keyword=I217-LM&lang=eng

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 1st, 2013 19:00

Dell says they don't have a driver and Intel says see Dell.

It is an Intel product. Dell drivers are merely Intel ones rebundled so if Intel don't have then Dell definitely won't. Intel will likely never produce an XP driver again as its a legacy OS.

What I would recommend is to run the unit with Windows 7 or 8.1 and use a XP virtual machine. I would advise using VirtualBox for this.

If you want to try to install a driver go to the Microsoft Update Catalog (use Internet Explorer)

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A

Search for PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_153A (ignore the additional &SUBSYS part)..

There will only be Windows 7 and 8.1 drivers available. So click on a file and check that the architecture matches x86 (32 bit) or x64 (64 bit) depending on what OS you installed. Add to basket and then download.

Once you have downloaded the file, double click the cab file on the desktop to open it. Copy the 7 files to the desktop

Right click the file with the cog and select install.

open up device manager and right click the network adapter with the (?) and hardware ID and select update driver, select the folder you downloaded the Windows 7 driver and see if you can get a driver installed.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2013 02:00

I think you're out of luck, as XP is no longer an Intel-supported operating system.

I did check the Intel site for an XP driver, but the driver CD had drivers only for Windows 7 and 8. Even Vista is orphaned.

Microsoft Windows XP does not support the following devices:
- Intel Ethernet Connection I217-LM
- Intel Ethernet Connection I217-V
- Intel Ethernet Connection I218-LM
- Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V
- Intel I210 Gigabit Network Connection
- Intel I210 Gigabit Fiber Network Connection
- Intel I210 Gigabit Backplane Connection
- Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection
- Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210-T1

Softpedia notes that Intel does not support your network hardware for XP. If your employer wants to stay with an outdated operating system, they should use older hardware.

13 Posts

November 4th, 2013 07:00

Or... I could just buy a network card that uses Windows XP drivers and install that into the computer...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 4th, 2013 07:00

Netgear EA101
 Farallon USB 1.1
NICS
do not require drivers in 2K or XP

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-EA101-Ethernet-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00002EQD2

PCI\VEN_8086  = INTEL

DEV_153A =    Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM Drivers

INTEL Does not Support XP and Does not have drivers for XP for this product.

https://communities.intel.com/message/203445

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22283

- What's New in This Release
- Operating System Support
- Installing Drivers and Intel(R) PROSet for Windows* Device Manager
- User Guides
- Intel Fiber Optic Adapters
- Saving and Restoring Adapter Settings in Microsoft Windows operating systems
- Teaming Notes
- Jumbo Frames
- Power Management and System Wake
- Microsoft* Windows* 8.1 and Windows Server* 2012 R2 Notes - Microsoft* Windows* 8 and Windows Server* 2012 Notes - Microsoft* Windows* 7 and Windows Server* 2008 R2 Notes
- Novell* NetWare* Notes
- Intel(R) 82562V and 82562GT 10/100 Network Connection Notes
- Intel(R) 10GbE Network Adapter Notes
- Quad Port Server Adapter Notes
- Known Issues
- Customer Support

1 Message

January 15th, 2014 07:00

Not fully true. download latest Intel driver pack (PRO2K3XP_32) AFAIR it's 18.3 or 18.4. Then upack it and install driver using device manager. Use one named HP NC112i. It's initialize very slow at systems starts but works.
No Events found!