Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2012 10:00

Dell Optiplex GX280 - Solid Amber Light

I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 desktop computer. When I plugged it into the wall, it always shows a solid amber light. The fan is running, but their is no signal to the monitor. So far I have tried replacing the memory sticks and the battery. Gave it a thorough cleaning. Unplugged the computer and held the power button for about 30 seconds to drain the capacitors, and still nothing.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2012 19:00

[quote user="shesagordie"]

Laura wrote:

Yes, I have done the rest of the testing procedure and still get the same results.

Laura,

Then it sounds like the motherboard has issues and should be replaced.

Bev.

I still have this solid amber light on the motherboard before I even turn on the machine by just plugging the power into the PSU. That means it is getting some power.

[/quote]

Laura,

Yes, the LED on the motherboard is the 'Stand By Power Light' [aka 'flea power'], indicates the motherboard has +5VFP power is reaching it and not an indication that the power supply/motherboard has not failed, or has issues.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2012 10:00

I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 desktop computer. When I plugged it into the wall, it always shows a solid amber light. The fan is running, but their is no signal to the monitor. So far I have tried replacing the memory sticks and the battery. Gave it a thorough cleaning. Unplugged the computer and held the power button for about 30 seconds to drain the capacitors, and still nothing.

Laurakitty

A solid Yellow power button LED  indicates "The Dell Diagnostics is running a test, or a device on the system board may
be faulty or incorrectly installed"

What is the reading of the four diagnostic lights, located on the back panel of your Optiplex GX 280 Desktop model?

The troubleshooting guide, is here:
 < ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

29 Posts

November 25th, 2012 11:00

[quote user="Laurakitty"]

Laurakitty

A solid Yellow power button LED  indicates "The Dell Diagnostics is running a test, or a device on the system board may
be faulty or incorrectly installed"

What is the reading of the four diagnostic lights, located on the back panel of your Optiplex GX 280 Desktop model?

The troubleshooting guide, is here:

< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

[/quote]

All the diagnostic lights are off.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2012 12:00

Laurakitty

The Optiplex GX 280 has five different models, the Mini Tower, Small Mini Tower, Small Desktop, Desktop and the Small Form Factor.

The picture you posted seems to indicate you have the GX 280 Small Mini Tower version, not the Desktop?

The Desktop has the diagnostic lights on the front panel, not back panel, as I posted, doh sorry about that.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

The Small Mini Tower has the diagnostic lights on the back panel, also see here:

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Laurakitty

Are there any 'Beeps'?

First check that all the cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU maybe be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor. 

Bev.

29 Posts

Laurakitty

The Optiplex GX 280 has five different models, the Mini Tower, Small Mini Tower, Small Desktop, Desktop and the Small Form Factor.

The picture you posted seems to indicate you have the GX 280 Mini Tower version, not the Desktop?

The Desktop has the diagnostic lights on the front panel, not back panel, as I posted, doh sorry about that.

The Mini Tower has the diagnostic lights on the back panel, also see here:

Bev.

Yes, I think it is a mini tower. The diagnostic lights on the back panel are off.

29 Posts

November 25th, 2012 13:00

Laurakitty

Are there any 'Beeps'?

First check that all the cables are properly connected, including the cables to the front panel.

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 20-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU maybe be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor. 

Bev.

Now the little green light on the front panel is on. Power button is still amber.  However, no beeping or difference in diagnostic lights.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2012 14:00

Laura,

Have you checked the motherboard, using the procedures I posted?

Reason for checking the power supply, as you need a 'Know' working PSU, to test the motherboard.

Bev.

29 Posts

November 25th, 2012 15:00

Laurakitty

Are there any 'Beeps'?

Bev.

Laura,

Have you checked the motherboard, using the procedures I posted?

Reason for checking the power supply, as you need a 'Know' working PSU, to test the motherboard.

Bev.

I jumped the power supply using the procedure you posted and nothing happened. The fan is running and diagnostic lights are off. And the power light is the still amber.

[/quote]

[/quote]

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 25th, 2012 16:00

Laura,

Have you carried the rest of the testing procedure?

eg:

"Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold the power button in for several seconds to discharge the
residue power, reconnect the 20-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front
panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If there is no difference in the diagnostic lights, 'Beep' codes and/or the LED indication of the power button, it would appear that the motherboard has died and/or maybe the processor"

Bev. 

29 Posts

November 25th, 2012 16:00

What could be the problem?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 25th, 2012 17:00

Labor to repair the unit will cost more than a Refirb.  Parts to repair the unit will cost more than a replacement.

There are no magic bullets that cost nothing that repair physical electrical damage.  

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

GX280's have badcaps issues.  Whole units can be had for $100 or less on ebay, amazon, microcenter,  pcretro,  etc.

GX620's and higher can also be had for this amount and up.  Its not worth fixing.  Onsite labor for 1 hour in my area would cost more than replacing the entire computer.

Dell Optiplex GX280 Desktop Computer Off Lease ... - Micro Center

Available from these sellers.

1 used from $108.00 3 refurbished from $69.95

The recall ended in 2008

http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/...m/T1910000.ASP

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide OUT OF WARRANTY coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

Customers with qualifying out of warranty systems may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 for service. Affected parts dispatched through Dell Technical Support will not be eligible for labor reimbursement. Note, WPD customers with affected systems still UNDER WARRANTY may continue to contact WPD as usual for warranty coverage.

For Systems Under Warranty

Contact Warranty Parts Direct as usual for part replacement coverage per the existing Warranty Service contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If an OUT OF WARRANTY desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, customers may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Laura wrote:

Yes, I have done the rest of the testing procedure and still get the same results.

Laura,

Then it sounds like the motherboard has issues and should be replaced.

Bev.

29 Posts

GX280's have badcaps issues.  Whole units can be had for $100 or less on ebay, amazon, microcenter,  pcretro,  etc.

GX620's and higher can also be had for this amount and up.  Its not worth fixing.  Onsite labor for 1 hour in my area would cost more than replacing the entire computer.

Dell Optiplex GX280 Desktop Computer Off Lease ... - Micro Center

Available from these sellers.

1 used from $108.00 3 refurbished from $69.95

The recall ended in 2008

http://warrantypartsdirect.dell.com/...m/T1910000.ASP

Dell OptiPlex™ SX270 / GX270 / GX280
Out of Warranty Support Program

Dell™ will provide OUT OF WARRANTY coverage in North, Central and South America for OptiPlex™SX270(UFF), GX270, GX280 systems with failed motherboards due to expanding or leaking capacitors for 5 years from date of purchase, or until 31-January-2008, whichever comes first.

Customers with qualifying out of warranty systems may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 for service. Affected parts dispatched through Dell Technical Support will not be eligible for labor reimbursement. Note, WPD customers with affected systems still UNDER WARRANTY may continue to contact WPD as usual for warranty coverage.

For Systems Under Warranty

Contact Warranty Parts Direct as usual for part replacement coverage per the existing Warranty Service contract.

For Systems Out of Warranty

If an OUT OF WARRANTY desktop computer listed in the "Products Affected" section has a failed motherboard exhibiting expanding or leaking capacitors and is still within the time period described below, customers may contact Dell Technical Support at 1-800-822-8965 to have the motherboard replaced at no charge per Dell's Next Business Day service coverage program.

The motherboard replacement program is valid for 5 years from the original date of purchase of the system or January 31, 2008, whichever occurs first. Systems that fall outside the motherboard replacement offer terms may be repaired under Dell's Out of Warranty service program.

Products Affected:

SX270 USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor)

GX270 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

GX280 SFF, SDT, SMT (All Form Factors - Small Form Factor, Small Desktop, Small-Mini Tower)

I checked the capacitors and they look fine. They are not rusty, swollen or leaking.

No Events found!