Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2007 15:00

Dell Precision 390 Will Not Boot - Orange Blinking Power LED

Hello everybody,

I sorry that my first post is to be asking for help, but I'll try and correct that.

I have a Dell Precision 390 unit that has suddenly stopped working. We do live video streaming on it and the software we used suddenly couldn't find the hardware. So, I ran some diagnostics and rebooted. I then shut it down and removed the power cord for about 5 minutes. I then put it all back together and pressed the button... Nothing.

All I notice now is the power LED blinking orange at me quick quickly. I checked out the Dell site for advice and it seems this blinking indicates that power is reaching the unit, but not the CPU.

So, I checked all the internal power leads to the motherboard.. all tight. I even checked the connections to the power unit. All good.

Popped the case back on and tried to boot, but the same old problem.

Has anybody encountered this before? Am I being dim and missing something?

9.3K Posts

March 14th, 2007 17:00

I can't find it in the online 390 documentation, but for most (all?) Dell systems blinking amber generally indicates a powersupply or motherboard failure (see an example here).

To help isolate it to one or both of these parts you could start disconnecting one or more parts at a time till it changes from blinking amber.

The minimum you would need is the motherboard, powersupply and front panel (power button). If you were to remove the processor, memory, videocard, drives, and any PCI/PCIe cards, the powerled should go to solid amber (for no post). If it's still blinking amber, you're most likely indeed looking at a powersupply or motherboard issue.

I've seen a faulty drive cause this (seemed like it was shorting something out internally causing the system to short (luckily didn't cause damage to other parts), so don't automatically assume it's the motherboard and/or powersupply if you can exclude several parts.

No Events found!