Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 12th, 2008 05:00

Dell Return Policy

Hi all,

This is my first time to post a message here, but I have been reading quite a lot lately.

Please, I need some advice.

Last Sunday (09/08/08), I purchased a Dell XPS 420 system (3G memory, 320G hard drive, single drive) for a total of $1,129(SH free) excludingtaxes.Now Dell has posted on their website some XPS deals, including the 420.  Starting memory is at 4G with 640G of hard drive and dual drive, total excluding tax tax came out to be $1,179, not much difference from what I have paid for.

Now, here's the issue...I have not received my order yet, although it has been shipped.  I am thinking of returning it once I received it and then ordering the new XPS 420 deal.  I have read somewhere here about the 15% restocking fee plus I would also have to pay for shipping it back. 

I am not sure then, if it's all worth it.  Go figure:  $1,129 (not including taxes) x 15% = $169 + $40 SH roughly = $209 + cost of new system $1,388.

I tried to do another configuration with the non-discounted XPS 420 and I got $1479.  So between $1,479 and $1,388, I would still save $91.

PLEASE HELP me decide...I am not a gamer, but I use Microsoft Office and the internet and other productivity software a lot.  I also think that I could use the high memory and high hard drive capacity now so in the future, I won't have to buy a new computer to upgrade.

Thanks so much in advance.  The deal expires on the 13th at 11:59pm CST.

REmms

133 Posts

September 12th, 2008 07:00

i don't think they would accept your machine cos better deal is coming.

935 Posts

September 12th, 2008 12:00

I think what you're getting will be more than enough for what you will use it for. With 32bit Vista, 4GB of RAM will not improve performance and 3GB is plenty. You can always buy another 320GB (~$85 from Newegg.com) or larger hard drive after you've used your new system and IF you feel you need more space. And if you feel you need 4GB of RAM you can buy a 2x1GB kit from Crucial.com for under $43.

799 Posts

September 12th, 2008 15:00

@Remms wrote:

Hi all,

This is my first time to post a message here, but I have been reading quite a lot lately.

Please, I need some advice.

Last Sunday (09/08/08), I purchased a Dell XPS 420 system (3G memory, 320G hard drive, single drive) for a total of $1,129(SH free) excludingtaxes.Now Dell has posted on their website some XPS deals, including the 420.  Starting memory is at 4G with 640G of hard drive and dual drive, total excluding tax tax came out to be $1,179, not much difference from what I have paid for.

Now, here's the issue...I have not received my order yet, although it has been shipped.  I am thinking of returning it once I received it and then ordering the new XPS 420 deal.  I have read somewhere here about the 15% restocking fee plus I would also have to pay for shipping it back. 

I am not sure then, if it's all worth it.  Go figure:  $1,129 (not including taxes) x 15% = $169 + $40 SH roughly = $209 + cost of new system $1,388.

I tried to do another configuration with the non-discounted XPS 420 and I got $1479.  So between $1,479 and $1,388, I would still save $91.

PLEASE HELP me decide...I am not a gamer, but I use Microsoft Office and the internet and other productivity software a lot.  I also think that I could use the high memory and high hard drive capacity now so in the future, I won't have to buy a new computer to upgrade.

Thanks so much in advance.  The deal expires on the 13th at 11:59pm CST.

REmms

Dell has a 21 day return policy without any pre-conditions.

If you want to return the system, just call Dell when you receive it and request a return.

Do not open and set it up. When Dell issues you a RMA and a shipping label, return it and buy what you want. Dell deals come and go so you never know when a deal is going to be pulled.

You spend your money, you take your chances.

Hope this helps.

513 Posts

September 12th, 2008 20:00

Before making things tricky, give customer service a call and see if they will offer an accommodation price.

For years Dell offered a price guarantee; if you called within 30 days of purchase and they offered the same system for less they would refund the difference.  I don't know if they still do this, but under these circumstances they may offer you something.  Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples in all respects. 

799 Posts

September 12th, 2008 21:00

shdbcamping1 wrote: Whatever the state of the Set-up, If Dell won't deal with the "dickering" for a Deal you could have had... 21 days for "Total Satisfaction". Get what you want or ship it back, and make sure you ask for a Manager so that a "mindless minion" does not interupt your computing/gaming domain. Just be sure to get a copy of the "Cart Build" of the system before you go to battle. And remember... for the little Dell workers... 15000 layoffs will leave the worker worried.

Sorry for that plug, but I'm a union member.

Sean

Hey shdbcamping1, Thanks for your input to help others that have not had dealings with Dell.

I could write a book about my dealings with Dell, but that would be counter-productive here.

Most people that have not had any support dealings with Dell would not believe the problems I had to go through and all the promises made and not delivered by Dell representatives, in order to get a high dollar Dell system to operate as it should.

It took me 7 months and endless hours on the phone, emails, DellChat, but after 7 months and two system exchanges, I still did not have a viable system.

I finally kept the last system and promptly contacted support and had them send the parts needed to make this system viable. Banctec came and replaced these two components, I rebuilt the system, and now it is finally working as it should.

To be fair, I have purchased Dell systems since Dell has been in business and never had any issues until now.

If you don't get the answer you deserve, request to speak to a manager, at least two times.

Hope this helps.

475 Posts

September 12th, 2008 21:00

Hanspuppa,

Not that I'm following you... But another fantastically accurate post.

Dell has a 21 day return policy without any pre-conditions.

If you want to return the system, just call Dell when you receive it and request a return.

Do not open and set it up. When Dell issues you a RMA and a shipping label, return it and buy what you want. Dell deals come and go so you never know when a deal is going to be pulled.

Whatever the state of the Set-up, If Dell won't deal with the "dickering" for a Deal you could have had... 21 days for "Total Satisfaction". Get what you want or ship it back, and make sure you ask for a Manager so that a "mindless minion" does not interupt your computing/gaming domain. Just be sure to get a copy of the "Cart Build" of the system before you go to battle. And remember... for the little Dell workers... 15000 layoffs will leave the worker worried.

Sorry for that plug, but I'm a union member.

Sean

475 Posts

September 12th, 2008 22:00

Hanspuppa,

I feel for you, and understand your pain. My experience worked out better. I wish they all did. Don't get me wrong tho, there was much pain. So now I play watchdog and do what I can for the rest of the consumers. My HATE for the 630i is waning as the issues seem to be clearing. But there is always the isolated issue that shows up in the forum that should have been extinctified months ago... Post and try to make a difference...

Have I mentioned Folding for medical science??? Team XPS... no affilliation... seriously. Great Cause... Great Folks... great feeling of helping. If you wanna.. check the sticky at the front page. I do it because I can, no real other reason(BS... 2.3 years from alzheimer's myself ).  Ok probably more but gene folding can and has solved a lot of unexplained "stuff". It only costs me $10 a month in electricity. Best charitable contribution I've ever made.

Anyway, pleasure to have met you.

Sean

799 Posts

I must give praise where it is due, and Chris M advised me also on how to get my system replaced.

Even after his suggestion, I had to fight tooth and nail to get the system exchanged.

Dell sent me two different systems that was not configured as my original system.

I saw the order an contacted them before the system was built on both systems and they still got it wrong.

The last system has an ATI card when I had an Nvidia card in my original system. They changed it in my home. But guess what. The system kept telling me the ATI drivers were not compatible with my current video card. No joke???,

This made the Dell Recovery Restore to be incorrect as well, so I had to remove the partition for the Dell Recovery restore, since it was now useless because off the wrong video card files. You just can't seem to win when dealing with Dell.

I gave up after this and have said goodby to Dell. I have 4 companies that I maintain PCs and networks for that I always purchased Dell systems for. I have now switched all of them to HP as well as all my other family, friends and customers.

I don't want to be embarassed by Dell any longer.

475 Posts

Hanspuppa,

I could write a Dell novel on my 630i as well. Bottom line it bit for me I sent it back. Got credit and got my 420. less capable... maybe but I was never into SLI. Tech support has much to be desired. Dell-Chris M is Dell's savior and I really hope he is getting well compensated. I personally know of 14 Dell customers that would have DUMPED Dell because of the 630i but stuck with dell (420 or 730) because of Chris' attention to customer concerns. Check my signature( sent a 630i back). Chris made it possible to send my 630i back (full refund ) and get my 420. I've been a Dell customer since I could say " Com what". I'd have been somewhere else had i t not been for this Forum's Liason. "nuf Plugs for Chris" his head'll pop like a Zit. :smileyvery-happy: .

Have I mentioned Folding for science (Team XPS)?

Sean

17 Posts

September 13th, 2008 05:00

Thanks to all who replied.  I have learned so much from this forum.

After much deliberation, I have decided to wait and keep my original purchase of XPS 420 with 3G of memory.  I don't think I am ready to deal with Dell the way a lot of people here have experienced, with all the agonies and pains.  I am also taking keithh2's advice, that the Windows Vista only supports 3G of memory, so 4G won't really improve performance. 

Thanks all.

Rem

799 Posts

September 13th, 2008 12:00

@Remms wrote:

Thanks to all who replied.  I have learned so much from this forum.

After much deliberation, I have decided to wait and keep my original purchase of XPS 420 with 3G of memory.  I don't think I am ready to deal with Dell the way a lot of people here have experienced, with all the agonies and pains.  I am also taking keithh2's advice, that the Windows Vista only supports 3G of memory, so 4G won't really improve performance. 

Thanks all.

Rem

Hello Remms, Vista 32bit (x86) SP1 will show 4 GBs of memory but will only address approximately 3.25GBs for actual use. The Vista x64bit (x64) will address up to 16GBs of memory.

I have 4GBs of memory and have used both versions of Vista. I could not tell any difference at all in the two versions as far as real time performance. If you did a benchmark test, I am sure you could see a difference in the ratings.

After all the testing, I have reverted back to x86. It does all I need. When using the x64bit version, most of my programs ran in a 32bit mode, or as Microsoft chooses to call it, WOW.

So, unless you have all, or most of your applications, written in x64 bit code, there seems to be little since in using x64 just to access the very little extra memory.

Some have upgraded to 8GBs of memory, so they may see an increase in performance, but at a cost. For everyday computing, 3.25GBs seems to be enough right now.

As everything in the World of Computers change, this may change also.

Considering what you may have to go through to get Dell to exchange or refund your money, for the little benefit gained, I think you have made a wise decision.

Hope this helps.

17 Posts

September 13th, 2008 15:00

Thanks Hanspupa. With little or no difference between the 4G and 3G memory running on 32bit vista, I am very happy with my decision. I don't have to deal with Dell now on returning the system and getting my money back, plus I don't have to spend extra bucks on it.

I am just waiting for my XPS 420 to arrive....it should be here any day now. 

Remms

258 Posts

September 14th, 2008 23:00

Enjly your 420 - I've enjoyed mine tremendously.
No Events found!