Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2016 06:00

Dell Studio XPS 8100 - "No boot device available"

Hello,

My Dell Studio XPS 8100 desktop restarted after a blue screen error and now won't boot.

These are two screens I'm presented with when I switch on the computer.

I'm able to enter the different options offered to me, I've run the diagnostics including the extended memory tests but it couldn't find any problems.

I've seen a few threads with similar problems but there seem to be so many different approaches and causes, I didn't want to do or replace the wrong thing.

Any help will be vastly appreciated!

Many thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 19th, 2016 09:00

You must run the Custom Extended Hard drive tests, not memory tests. My guess is your hard drive has failed.

3 Posts

July 19th, 2016 11:00

Thanks Mary.

I selected to Boot to Utility Partition but it said the partition could not be identified and and to press any key to reboot.

I pressed a key and was going to try the Diagnostics option but the computer did not reboot and now won't even power on.

Does the power issue point to a different possible problem?  Is there any chance it might not be one of the hard drives?  I haven't backed up in a while...

Do you think it's worth trying to get it repaired?

3 Posts

July 24th, 2016 07:00

I think the reason it didn't switch on was because there was a power surge from a faulty adapter.

I now believe a power surge was responsible for the blue screen and my current problem.

I'm now able to switch the computer on.

I selected Diagnostics from the boot menu but it didn't find any problems.  It just says:

Pre-boot System Assessment complete.  No Diagnostic Utility Partition identified.  Please select OK to reboot your system.

Is there anything else I could try?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2016 17:00

From the looks of it, you have two failed hard drives and a very corrupt RAID0 array.  About all you can do is replace the drives -- and rebuild the system.

No Events found!