Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2011 04:00

Dell T3500 Blinking Amber 1-3 (4x) issue

I have a problem with my Dell Precision T3500, the issue is that whenever I try to start the computer the power button it blinks amber 4 times and gives the number code 1 and 3 however it does turn on after a while. I assumed that it was something to do with the motherboard hwoever I am not sure since there isn't many problems like this on the internet where I could find a solution. I looked in the manual and the closest thing I could find was that it was a PSU or PSU cable problem. If anyone has a solution or answer for this I would be very grateful. The T3500 currently has a Nvidia GTX 260 installed with 4GB of ram. In addition if it is a PSU problem could you please list what PSU are compatible with the T3500 such as a T5500 PSU or a T7400. Thank you for your support.

3 Posts

November 7th, 2011 09:00

I hope your machine is still under warranty :)  I've had this happen to 5 of my T3500s.  The fix is a new power supply.  Each time they've sent out the power supply, they've also sent out a new motherboard.  I think there's obviously a big problem with the power supplies in these T3500s, as each one from our initial purchase has had the same issue (we have a bunch of newer ones that haven't shown the problem, at least not yet).

Each time it happens I request that the tech person try to make this a known issue (and perhaps trigger some kind of extended warranty/recall), but so far no progress there....

Leaving it unplugged for a bit seems to fix it temporarily, but then we're scared to turn the machines back off.

1 Message

June 20th, 2015 16:00

Hi had the same problem Try to Change Battery on Mother Board :emotion-15:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 5th, 2011 05:00

Hi Brandon980,

Lights 1 and 3 indicate a RAM problem. Try reseating the RAM. If that doesn't help, try removing one module at a time, making sure the remaining modules are used in the correct slots <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

You said it starts eventually. Have you tried running the Dell diagnostics or memtest?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

When you replaced them, you're putting them back in starting with slot 1? You tried each individually?

10 Posts

Yes I have and it still does not work.

10 Posts

Thank your for your response but yes I have tryed reseating the ram, removing them 1 by 1 and also placing them 1 by 1.

10 Posts

Not at the momment, I'll try the diagnostics tests, I'll get back to you with the results, Thanks for your responses and help so far.

10 Posts

November 5th, 2011 06:00

I have just condcuted the Dell Diagnostics tests and there were no problems to report from the memory.

10 Posts

November 6th, 2011 01:00

I'm still having issues with this 1-3 amber blinking light, Dell diagnostics reads nothing does anyone have any ideas about what is causing it?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Ok, time to get back to basic troubleshooting:

1. Try resetting the BIOS to its default values (but make sure you go into the BIOS and write down the current settings)

2. Remove all peripherals and unnecessary add-on cards.

3 Posts

The tech support person I just talked to gave me this part number as a "known good" replacement part (ie. no repeat problems) for this issue: 6W6M1 (it's a 525W power supply).  They're creating a dispatch for me right now...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 7th, 2011 10:00

Ok, let me know how it works out.

I've seen this one other time for a different model. It was caused by a high-power USB device. When the device was removed, the system booted fine.

November 8th, 2011 23:00

Since this morning I am facing the same problem with a T3500, it has a NVS295 videocard.

The powersupply makes a "trrrkk" sound when it starts then the lights 1 and 3 blink 4 times and the machine shuts down. The only usb devices ever attached to this machine are a mouse and keyboard.

Regards.

November 9th, 2011 00:00

Just placed a call to Technical support, they are going to replace the power supply,.

No Events found!