Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2010 15:00

Dell Vostro 200, can't add memory.

I bought a dell Vostro 200 running windows vista with 2 gigabytes of PC2-6400 memory in December 2008. Almost immediately, I added an nvidia 9500GT video card with 512 megabytes of DDR2 memory. The system worked fine afterwards.

Recently I decided to add a gigabyte of system memory. Therefore I bouught Crucial Technology CT12864AA800 1 GB 240-pin DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400 CL=6 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-800 1.8V 128Meg x 64 Memory. When I added the memory to the computer sytem it would not boot up at all. I was unable to even get into SAFE mode. However, I could get into the system BIOS, that showed the extra gigabyte of memory was recognized.

The unusual part is that I while I was fiddling around with the computer, I removed the nvidia 9500GT video card so I could more easily access the memory slots. I found that when I removed the nvidia 9500gt video card and used the onboard graphics adapter the system booted up, worked properly, and used recognized 3 gigabytes of system memory.

Basically, I cannot figure out why I am unable to use my video card and the extra gigabyte of memory that I purchaced at the same time.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2010 16:00

I am aware that most people do tend to add ddr2 memory in pairs. However, I did check crucial.com before I bought the memory. According to them, a Dell Vostro 200 does not need DDR2 memory added in pairs. Although, they do state pairs allow for optimal performance.

Besides, without the video card the system works fine, it recognizes and uses all 3 gigabytes without a problem.

My computer has a total of four memory slots. Initially, 2 slots were used with a 1 gigabyte chip each. I bought a 1 gigabyte chip and intended to add another 1 gigabyte chip somewhere down the line.

468 Posts

January 14th, 2010 16:00

I dont know why it would effect your graphics card ability, however most people generally install memory in identical pairs, especially if you want the DDR2 to work correctly.  Failure to do so generally causes a slowdown in the memory itself and may be causing your issues, or the BIOS is flipping out or something.. but honestly I would see about returning it for 2 sticks of 2 gigs each for 4 gigs in pairs.

No Events found!