Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2016 06:00

Dell Vostro 200 slim tower does not start up and the fans constantly spin!

When I turn on my vostro 200 slim tower the fans keep spinning constantly and it's very noisy.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 14:00

When I turn on my vostro 200 slim tower the fans keep spinning constantly and it's very noisy.

MrJohnWebley

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message?

What is the version of Windows that's installed?

have you made any changes to the Vostro 200s recently?

The Vostro 200s Troubleshooter is Here:

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-200_owner%27s%20manual2_en-us.pdf

Bev.

October 4th, 2016 22:00

Thank you for responding Bev

When I press the led button to turn the Vostro 200 slim tower on the led light goes from steady Amber to steady blue in seconds. And then the fans spin constantly which makes a loud noise, So when I pug in the VGA chord into the monitor it just goes into sleeping mode.

There are no beeping or error messages.

And I have not made any modifications or changes to the Vostro 200 slim tower.

Thank you

14 Posts

December 11th, 2016 01:00

It sounds like it doesn't recognize the video card (or builtin video adapter).

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 11th, 2016 17:00

So when I pug in the VGA chord into the monitor it just goes into sleeping mode.

You shouldn't connect the monitor if the PC is already powered on. That's a recipe for frying your hardware.  And, the PC won't be able to detect the monitor if the PC is booted without the monitor being connected first...

Do you only have on-board Intel video, or do you also have an add-in video card?

The on-board VGA video port is probably disabled when an add-in video card is installed. So make sure you're connecting the monitor to the correct video port.  If you have an add-in video card, the monitor should be connected where the red arrow points in this figure, and not at the red X.

No Events found!