Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 4th, 2014 13:00

Dell Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo - KM632, keyboard not working

Hello,

I purchased a display-model Inspiron 3847 recently from a "big box" store, which included a Dell Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo - KM632.  The mouse and receiver work fine together, however, the keyboard does not.  The batteries are fresh, the keyboard powers on and the power LED stays lit for a few seconds.  Reading the manual, this is the normal behavior.  However, no key presses are ever received by the receiver. I have tried it on multiple PCs.  I have also installed the software, which appears to be nothing more than a caps lock indicator, but that had no effect.

Is there a way to re-sync the keyboard to the receiver?  I do not see any buttons on either device.  Maybe a secret key combination?  If not, are there different hard frequencies / channels / digital IDs between the input devices and the receiver?  Perhaps the store mixed up the keyboards, but it was sold as-is, being a display model.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks, -Dan

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 4th, 2014 22:00

The docs don't list any methods to resync the keyboard and the dongle. If you tried it on multiple PCs and it doesn't work, I'd have to say the keyboard is broken.

I guess it's also possible this keyboard was synced at the factory to a different dongle and "big box" got them mixed up...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2014 05:00

KM632 isnt bluetooth so there is no pairing/syncing.If the mouse works but the keyboard doesn't it may be the batteries are bad and or acid has leaked onto the contacts.  I would also try removing the batteries from the mouse and putting them in the keyboard then moving the keyboard dongle to each usb port unitl it no longer says installing device driver.  Then put batteries in the mouse and do the same round robin again.

Manufacturer Part# : Y9FP1
Dell Part# : 331-3761

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

December 5th, 2014 13:00

Thanks guys, still nothing works.  I'll take it up with Dell as a warranty issue.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 5th, 2014 13:00

Since you bought it at "big box", you'll have to register the system in your name before you can get warranty support. And it may take a few days (or more) for the registration info to be updated.

I don't know if Dell will require you to work through "big box" for warranty support or if Dell will provide warranty support directly to you.

And I'd go back to "big box" and complain ASAP. "As is" doesn't give them the right to sell you something without fully disclosing exactly what "as is" means. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 5th, 2014 14:00

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

December 5th, 2014 14:00

Yeah, I just found that out the hard way via Dell support.  Now I have to track down someone at "big box" to tell me the name of who it was registered with prior to me buying it.  Like that's gonna happen...

I can't complain too much... I got the system for less than half price.  Worst case, I'll just have to buy a retail kyb/mse set and be done with it!

Thanks again,
Dan

1 Message

October 18th, 2015 11:00

Im a diferent Dan, with exact same issue, with a new all-in-one. Same keyboard/mouse model. Did you find a fix?

1 Rookie

• 

28 Posts

October 19th, 2015 10:00

Yes... I bought a new keyboard/mouse :)

No Events found!