Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 7th, 2010 22:00

Dell XPS 400 Desktop - Can't Install Windows XP!

Hi Everyone:

I've spent the last three days trying to fix my Dell XPS 400 desktop.

When I tried to turn on my computer, it gets to the Dell screen, flashes a phrase, and I end up getting a blank screen, or the computer decides to restart.  I simply couldn't get the computer to load Windows except for one lucky time.

When I did manage to get XP to load, the computer itself seemed to run slower than normal, and when I tried to extract the minidump files, the hard drive froze up along with the rest of the computer, forcing me to shut down the computer and restart.  After this, I was no longer able to get the computer to load Windows again.

I tried to re-install windows, but I ran into a problem.  Every time I try to install a clean copy of Windows XP Pro SP3, I get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) 0x50 error.  It comes when I'm ready to install XP from the blue and white screen.

From that blue and white XP install screen, I see that the computer doesn't recognize my hard drive as a place to install XP.  It knows that a hard drive is there, but it says it's "unknown".  If I try pressing enter to attempt to install XP, I get a 0x50 BSOD.

I've already ruled out my RAM sticks by checking them one-by-one, and the connections on all of my hardware are secure.  From some articles I've read, I'm pretty sure that it has something to do with my hard drive.  The unit itself works, but it seems that the SATA driver is missing and/or corrputed.

I've checked the Dell downloads center for drivers to re-install this particular driver, but I'm not sure which one to get.

http://i36.tinypic.com/27wxets.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If there is more information I need to post, please let me know.

14.4K Posts

August 8th, 2010 06:00

The first thing you need to do is run the Dell diagnostics on the system to make sure all your hardware is OK. To do this Boot the computer and when you see the Dell Splash screen tap the F12 key. At the menu select the diagnostics listing and run the test. I would concentrate on the Hard drive test first.

If all the test come back OK it is not time to try and reinstall windows. Boot into the Bios and make sure your is set to Raid  Autodetect/ATA.  This option will be listed under the  bios setting of SATA Operation. 

Follow the steps HERE to reload windows.  The article is all inclusive and make sure you pay attention to section 5 about the correct order in which to reload your drivers.

14.4K Posts

August 8th, 2010 06:00

The first thing you need to do is run the Dell diagnostics on the system to make sure all your hardware is OK. To do this Boot the computer and when you see the Dell Splash screen tap the F12 key. At the menu select the diagnostics listing and run the test. I would concentrate on the Hard drive test first.

If all the test come back OK it is not time to try and reinstall windows. Boot into the Bios and make sure your is set to Raid  Autodetect/ATA.  This option will be listed under the  bios setting of SATA Operation. 

Follow the steps HERE to reload windows.  The article is all inclusive and make sure you pay attention to section 5 about the correct order in which to reload your drivers.

2 Posts

August 8th, 2010 09:00

I don't know how or why it happened, but RAID Autodetect/ATA option was not selected.  Thank you very much for telling me that.

Also, when I tried installing Win XP Pro on the computer, it gave me a 0x70 BSOD stop error.  I figured that it couldn't be the hard drive since the proper options were selected in the BIOS, so I changed both RAM sticks with different ones I was going to install in my other computer, and it worked.

I'm currently downloading all drivers for my XPS 400 and installing an Anti-Virus program.

Again, thanks very much for the help.  I appreciate it.  :)

14.4K Posts

August 8th, 2010 15:00

You are welcome. Glad to have helped

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 04:00

Im having the same issue as above but my bsod is 0x7b and my hardware has been tested including ram it copies file 100% ok then give up same pc dell xps 400 xp professional plz email me [ADMIN NOTE: Email ID removed per TOU policy]

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 09:00

I think this is an issue with the hard drive controller mode. Is it set to RAID in the BIOS?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 11:00

Stop error code 0x0000007B (INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE)

means you did not use the F6 drivers at the start of windows installation to enabla

SATA drive set for AHCI.  You must use combination, legacy , ATA mode.

AHCI: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards

Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (AHCI) driver version 11.2.0.1006 for Intel® Desktop Boards.

OS: Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Cent .. More> Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*

6/11/2012

11.​2.​0.​1006

Latest

Drivers

6/11/2012

11.​2.​0.​1006

Latest

Drivers

6/11/2012

11.​2.​0.​1006

Previously released

Drivers

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 11.2.0.1006.

OS: Windows Server 2003 *, Windows Vista *, Windows .. More> Windows Server 2003 *, Windows Vista *, Windows XP *

6/7/2012

11.​2.​0.​1006

Previously released

Drivers

Note Mass storage controller drivers can be loaded only from floppy disks by using the F6 key.

The F6 key cannot be used to load drivers that are stored on USB flash drives, on USB hard disks, or on other external storage devices.

Limited OEM driver support is available with F6 during Windows XP ...

When you are installing Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Windows Server 2003 on a new computer or on a computer that has the latest SCSI or IDE controller technology, you may have to use an OEM device driver to support, for example, a new mass storage controller, to continue with the installation. The symptoms that you have to install an OEM device driver include the following:

• The computer may keep restarting and never start the GUI installation after the text mode Setup is finished.
  • The Setup program may stop, and you may receive an error message if the Setup program does not correctly detect the controller.
  • If you are booting from the installation floppy disks or CD-ROM disc, you receive the following error message:
    Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system
    If you are upgrading by using the Winnt32.exe file, or if you are performing a new installation by using the Winnt.exe file, you receive the following Stop error:
    Stop 0x0000007B Inaccessible_boot_device

Error message occurs after you change the SATA mode of the boot ...

After you use the BIOS setup of a Windows computer to change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use either the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification or redundant array of independent disks (RAID) features, you receive the following error message when the computer is restarted: 

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 13:00

so your saying i have to buy a floppy drive and disks? install all links above and switch to combination mode? im installing usb drives...

ive tried installing using xp mini didnt work xp mini loads up fine copys files and restarts program when i restart NTRDL is missing press controll alt del to continue

my pc was givin to me and dont have a floppy drive area just a usb a drive... but no floppys my error is

are u sure its impossible by cd-r or usb bootable?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 3rd, 2013 14:00

A USB stick might work. I fixed a misconfigured XP installation on a Vostro 220s and I didn't need a floppy drive for the 'F6' drivers.

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 14:00

4 Posts

May 3rd, 2013 20:00

is vostro a bootable client like mini xp that runs off your rams memory?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 4th, 2013 10:00

It's a slim tower, and I think it can boot off a USB stick. In this case, however, we just want to have the hard drive controller drivers available for Windows to install.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 6th, 2013 00:00

You are best to slipstream them alongside Service Pack 3 to your XP Reinstallation CD using Lite full instructions are given in Windows Reinstallation Guide: http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

Follow page 334 in particular. Note the link on page 335 to Intel Download Centre is broken and I need to update it however for a XPS 400 (it is assumed you have one because of the title of this thread if not confirm your model) use the following file for the SATA Drivers http://ftp.dell.com/SATA/R130118.EXE and ensure you slipstream the extracted contents (page 339). Once you have made the new CD follow A Clean Install of Windows XP (page 208).

Note however Windows XP is reaching Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 - End of Life April 2014 and Microsoft will no longer update it making it very insecure. The XPS 400 also known as the Dimension 9150 will run Windows 7 64 bit so long as 4 GB of RAM is installed. I recommend you ditch Windows XP and instead install Windows 7 but this requires purchase of an upgrade or OEM license. Dell don't support this OS on this model and don't provide Drivers on their Drivers and Downloads page for Windows 7 for this model but here is an Unofficial Driver Set: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/4625.dimension-9150-windows-7-64-bit.aspx 

You can follow the instructions to install Windows 7 64 bit using a Digital River .iso without a product key to evaluate your systems performance on Windows 7 for up to 30 days before deciding whether its worth the purchase.

No Events found!