Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 15th, 2013 20:00

Dell XPS 400 not starting

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 400 that is not starting. No indicator lights are coming on at the front, no beeping, no fans attempting to run, and the only indication I have the motherboard is getting any sort of voltage is the green aux pwr led is on and stays on for about a minute after the computer is unplugged. I removed and reseated all of the cards and connectors and replaced the motherboard battery and still no results. So I have 2 questions:

Could this be an issue with the power supply?

If it is the power supply what is a good replacement option?

I feel fairly comfy about replacing it as I've added a second internal drive, more memory, video card, sound card, 2 USB cards, and the battery on the motherboard. I don't want to buy a power supply and it either be wrong or the issue is the motherboard. Any help you guys and gals can give me would be appreciated!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 15th, 2013 22:00

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 400 that is not starting. No indicator lights are coming on at the front, no beeping, no fans attempting to run, and the only indication I have the motherboard is getting any sort of voltage is the green aux pwr led is on and stays on for about a minute after the computer is unplugged. I removed and reseated all of the cards and connectors and replaced the motherboard battery and still no results. So I have 2 questions:

Could this be an issue with the power supply?

If it is the power supply what is a good replacement option?

I feel fairly comfy about replacing it as I've added a second internal drive, more memory, video card, sound card, 2 USB cards, and the battery on the motherboard. I don't want to buy a power supply and it either be wrong or the issue is the motherboard. Any help you guys and gals can give me would be appreciated!

athynz

If none of diagnostic lights and the power button LED are not lite, then the first part to replace, is the power supply, to see if this makes a difference, as you need a 'known' working PSU to check/test the system.

The XPS 400 system does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2-SATA power connectors.

As the XPS 400 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from most local, or online computer stores.

Check out the Corsair and Antec power supplies.

The procedures for replacing the PSU of the XPS 400/Dimension 9150, are here:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9150_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf   

Bev.

No Events found!