Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2012 00:00

Dell XPS 8500 headphones w/ mic and speakers. Why doesn't it work?

I have a new XPS 8500, and I am using the headphone/mic jacks on the top of the case for skype, and the green speaker jack in the back for a set of speakers.

This setup worked find on my XPS 420 which I upgraded from but does not work on this machine.

For playback devices, I only have "Headphones" and "Realtek Digital Output", and quite a few nVidia HMDI Output's from the GTX 690.

Does anyone know how I can get this to work right?  I like to play BF3 online with friends while listening to the game through my speakers, and chatting on the headset/mic with Skype.

Smalldog

6 Posts

May 16th, 2013 14:00

I resolved this by picking up a Turtle Beach Amigo II online for about $20.  Plugged it into the USB port on top of the system, and then plugged my headset/mic into it.

I imagine the system is the way it is because Dell didn't want to spend an extra couple of bucks on getting a decent sound chip on-board.

Anyway,  its working, and I am more or less where I want to be.

6 Posts

July 26th, 2012 10:00

What a waste of a reply.

July 26th, 2012 10:00

Hi,

Welcome to the Community.

In the XPS 420 system you had the integrated Intel high definition Audio and there was an option to use the Sound blaster. The audio devices you had used on this computer was compatible with the audio devices installed in the system.

Now in the new XPS 8500 system it is installed with Realtek audio controller with 7.1 channel audio. So I would suggest that you please check the compatibility of the audio devices you have. At present and you might have to change the audio settings on the new system.

Please reply if you have any more queries.

Thanks and Regards

DELL_Priyanka_S

Dell Social Media Responder

https://twitter.com/DellCares

https://www.facebook.com/Dell  

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE21F49ACD1A6B608&feature=plcp

1 Message

August 22nd, 2012 18:00

I'm looking at the same issue right now... I suspect the answer will be "go download the actual realtek driver and use that, since dell hobbled the audio for reasons only known to them"

1 Message

January 8th, 2013 11:00

Same Problem with the 8500 over here.  Just another headache after dealing with the video drivers.  I am wondering if the headphone plugs are even wired with the updated 2GB Video Card?  I wish dell would answer these questions on the boards instead of forcing us to clog there support lines with these widespread problems...

1 Message

April 30th, 2013 21:00

I had issues but what I found out that I was plugging into the wrong ports...   I have a Logitech 5.1 and I had to switch to those settings.  then mess with testing and finally got it working 5.1 again make sure you are plugging them in to the right ports.   the colors are wrong on the ports according to some diagrams.

1 Message

May 16th, 2013 13:00

I just bought an XPS 8500 and had the same problem. When I went to TechBargains.com, they posted a review on their website that said that they used Bluetooth speakers. I think this is the most simple solution. If this doesn't work for me, I will try the "switching" and "testing" suggested by Highwire 69.

No Events found!