Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 12th, 2015 10:00

Dell XPS 8500 will not boot after interuption of system restore

It was a crazy thing to do but I turned off my PC during system restore because it was taking to long to finish the process.  The next day I could not boot into windows.  I tried the automatic repair function but that did not work.  I tried to repair windows using the orignal installation disc, but that did not work.  I tried to install Windows 8 over again but I recieved an error message - media driver is missing.  I open the PC case uninstall the RAM, unplugged video card, and both drives, and reinstall but no success.  I did noticed that there is a orange/amber bright light on the motherboard.  I thought it was the hard drive at first, but now I am hoping it is not the motherboard.  Any help will be appreciated.

RB 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 20th, 2015 05:00

You have corrupted the image beyond repair.  You will have to reinstall from scratch.  Windows saying that an optical drive driver is missing means bad copy of DVD RW or DVD +R or DVD - R media that was not burned at 1X 2X or 4X and is therefore not readable.  This is why USB Flash Drive 16 gigs or greater is recommended instead of DVD drive for install media.

Why doesn't my CD or DVD drive work?

Troubleshoot problems installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1

A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing
A media driver your computer needs is missing
error message when you install Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2755139

This issue occurs for one of the following reasons:

The installation DVD is removed during the setup process.
A low-quality DVD was used to create the installation DVD.
The speed at which the installation DVD was burned was too fast.
The DVD drive cannot read the media.
The ISO file is corrupted.

May 12th, 2015 22:00

Hi, 

When Windows complains about a missing required CD/DVD driver, click cancel, then the X, so you're back at the "INSTALL NOW" screen.

At this stage, remove your USB stick, then plug it into another USB port.

Click Install Now again.

Regards

8 Posts

May 14th, 2015 11:00

Unfortunately, it did not work.  I tried it as instructed and it still states "missing driver."  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

8 Posts

May 20th, 2015 03:00

I tired this several times but it did not work.

No Events found!