Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

October 2nd, 2017 04:00

Dell XPS2720 won't let me use it as an external monitor - OSD button not working

I have connected a laptop to my XPS2720 via a HDMI cable but I cannot see the laptop desktop on the XPS2720 screen.  The laptop is connected to the HDMI in port on the back of the XPS2720 and I have selected the laptop to project to an external display.  I am running latest version of Windows 10.

The problem seems to be that the third OSD button which allows you to switch video input sources does nothing when pressed.  The two OSD brightness buttons work but not the video source select one.  I have downloaded the latest OSD driver (Which is for Windows 8!) but no change.

I was able to connect before with this problem but I have forgotten the work around.  Can anyone figure out a work around that does not involve the OSD button?

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2017 15:00

If you press and hold the input button does it respond at all? Like does the screen power on/off? Here is an example at this link, here is a bit more detail at this one

Unfortunately I am not aware of a way to do this without the button. Have you tried a different HDMI cable or system with HDMI (to test the input)? 

Best regards,

Brad

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2017 13:00

Have you looked at the Display screen in Windows on the 2720 to see if you have to select an option to allow it to use a second screen (laptop)?

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 14:00

Yes Ron tried the Windows options however there is no option within the various Windows dialogues for display settings and indeed other modes such as "Projecting to this PC" that I can see that points to setting up a laptop with a HDMI in cable.

4 Posts

October 3rd, 2017 14:00

Have tried pressing and holding but nothing happens.  The HDMI cable has been checked and is good.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 4th, 2017 12:00

What happens if you connect the lappy to a stand-alone monitor. Does that monitor accept the HDMI signal from the lappy?  

No Events found!