Highlighted
tphelps
Bronze

Dell computer won't connect to Internet or show the option to reinstall Windows

Jump to solution

My Dell computer all of sudden won't connect to the Internet via a wired connection. In fact, there isn't a network icon showing up in the task bar, If I go to the network connections page, I will be presented with a blank page (and the device manager page is blank, too). I tried to reinstall Windows but I can't find the option to do that on the setup/boot menu (the one accessable by pressing F8 before going to the Windows screen upon startup). What should I do? Thanks.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
fireberd
Diamond

Re: Dell computer won't connect to Internet or show the option to reinstall Windows

Jump to solution

Try "System Restore" and restore the PC to an earlier date.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.  System Restore will not delete any user data, e-mails, etc.  

Depending on what happened the System Restore may take care of it.  

The Dell recovery for Vista/Win 7 systems is F8 at Power On.  At that same point you can press F12 for boot menu and for accessing the Dell hardware diagnostics (and it might be a good idea to run those since you are having problems).

If you are still having problems, post back and include the PC Model Number and OS.  We can't give you specific help without that.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives.  Studio One 3 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell SE2717HR 27" Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
tphelps
Bronze

Re: Dell computer won't connect to Internet or show the option to reinstall Windows

Jump to solution

It's a Dell B110 running XP.

0 Kudos
tphelps
Bronze

Jump to solution

I tried system restore but it did not work. After pressing F8, I didn't see anything that said Dell or Dell hardware diagnostics after pressing F12.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

What is the status of the network hardware in Device Manager?

Can you connect to the Internet via wireless?

0 Kudos
tphelps
Bronze

Jump to solution

Nothing is listed in Device Manager. No network hardware, hard drives, nothing. It's just a blank page. I can't connect via wireless either.

0 Kudos
postner
Silver

Jump to solution

Did you recently "upgrade" your antivirus software?  The symptoms that you have described are commonly the result of a Firewall blocking local network traffic.  

tphelps
Bronze

Jump to solution

Nothing has been recently upgraded nor installed.

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

Your problem could be due to malware. Or, the system files may be corrupted, in which case you may be able to restore them with the system file checker. (The command is SFC /scannow.)

If your problems are due to malware, it may be easier to perform a clean install of XP.

0 Kudos
postner
Silver

Jump to solution

If you don't think it is a firewall issue then why not start with the basics... what operating system do you have?  Was it preinstalled on the computer or did you install it.  was it installed from scratch or was it an 'upgrade' of an existing operating system?  What more computer is it?  Is the wired network card the only network adapter in the system?  Is the network card integrated or an add on?  Etc.

0 Kudos