Highlighted
CPTflconX
Copper

Dell monitor/computer stuck in power save mode

Jump to solution

My dell monitor won't come on, it's blank and when you press any of the monitor buttons it says, "in power safe mode press any key on keyboard or move mouse". I have tried pressing every keyboard button and monitor button and it doesn't get out of Power Save Mode.

How do i get it out of power save mode?

Thanks

41 Replies

Re: Dell monitor/computer stuck in power save mode

Jump to solution

What PC model?
What monitor model?

* Power the PC and monitor off
* Disconnect the monitor power cord from the rear of the monitor
* Disconnect the monitor video cord from the PC video card
* Reconnect the monitor power cord
* Reconnect the monitor video cord
* Power on the monitor
* Power on the PC

Cibola-7
Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Chris,

I cannot yet find any information on this subject matter, so If I may, I would like to continue where this thread left off. However I have only a brief amount of time before the satisfaction warranty expires -- just a matter of a few days.

The monitor is a newly purchased Dell 2408WFP. It is connected to an ATI Radeon X300 video card on a Dell Dimension 8400. When the monitor is powered off using the power button, it will not turn back on when the power button is pressed again. The monitor's own error message says that it is not connected to a video card. The only two things that will bring back graphics, is to restart the computer or to disconnect and reconnect the video cable from either the monitor or the video card.

I've tried different DVI video cables and power cables; and I even tried a different OS: Vista x86 and x64. I think the only things I haven't tried are a different video card, a different computer, or replacing the native Windows driver with the one on the supplied CD.

The computer worked absolutely correctly with the Dell 2005WFP monitor it was connected to previously.  The problem occurs only with the brand new 2408WFP.

The initial Dell Tech Support  person recalls identical problems but alas, not the resolution. If I were to take a guess, I would say that there is a problem with whatever it is inside the monitor that detects a proper video signal. Any assistance you may be able to provide will be greatly appreciated.

--

Regards,

Rod

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Load the Dell specific monitor driver. Test it on both DVI and VGA.

0 Kudos
rt27
Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem with my Dimension E521.  I hooked up the monitor to my lap top and it works fine.

I don't know how to run diagnostics on the computer without being able to see the information on a monitor.  So, how would I be able to know if the Dell specific monitor driver is loaded on the Dimension if I can't see what I'm doing?

Cibola-7
Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris, but no, that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
jgauvin
Bronze

Jump to solution

I've got essentially the same problem: a laptop (ThinkPad T43) with an ATI Mobility Radeon X300 chipset, DVI cable, monitor won't come out of power save mode.  I've tried every possible combo, single/dual monitors (2048WFP as primary and secondary), driver updates, various resolutions & refresh rates, different cables, and nothing works.  We actually got two of these monitors in a recent purchase (business) and neither works with this laptop, but both work with a different model of ThinkPad.  My "old" external monitor is also a DVI connected Dell, and it works perfectly.

Now I actually did, ever so briefly, get video once while VGA connected and coming out of standby, but as soon as the computer did a video reset the monitor went back into power save.

Note that the monitor recognizes that a cable is connected, and the computer recognizes the monitor type (brand and model) and max resolution, so they are communicating.

- Jeff

0 Kudos
Masi_GC
Gold

Jump to solution

Can you connect both a VGA and a DVI cable to your monitors? If so, I suspect that you are having problems with the Auto input feature.

I have an E2209W with dual inputs and by default it is set to automatically detect a video signal and switch to the appropriate input. It could be that this feature isn't working correctly for you folks.

But you should be able to force your monitors to use a particular input with the on screen menu.

Masi_GC

0 Kudos
elhorse
Copper

Jump to solution

I also have this issue.  I have a Dell XPS 410 with an ATI Radeon x1300 PRO.  When it enters sleep mode after 5 or 10 minutes and I come back within an hour or so, it wakes up just fine.

However, when I leave the PC overnight, it does not wake in the morning, and I must power off my PC and power on. 

Previous to the 2408 (rev A02) monitor, I had a Dell brand 20 inch FP display, and never had an issue.

I've tried VGA, and 2 different DVI connectors (dual/single).  I am running WIndows XP Pro, and 8.263.0.0 version of the ATI driver.  I have also installed the Dell-provided driver for my monitor. 

Nothing works. 

DELL, PLEASE HELP FIX THIS ISSUE IMMEDIATELY

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Kokinishi
Copper

Jump to solution

Are these video cards intergrated or not? Sometimes if it's not intergrated, the power supply will not have enough power for the vidro card to operate. Also if these are new laptops, there is a BIOS update that might help out. I used to have the same problems. I had to update my BIOS from the Dell site and then customized my power settings.

0 Kudos