Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 23rd, 2016 12:00

Dell optiplex 7040 mini tower PSU query

I intend to purchase optiplex 7040 MT for gaming purpose. So I would like to know:

1. Does the motherboard have standard CPU and motherboard power connectors or proprietary ones?

2.  Is it possible to replace the stock PSU with a cooler master extreme power plus 600W? If no, then what size /kind of PSU will fit there?

3. Is it possible to fit a gtx 1080 in there?

June 24th, 2016 02:00

Hi iamprateekprakash,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please check the motherboard layout from the below link:

This system has been tested for 240W Power Supply Unit only, we wouldn't recommend a higher powered power supply unit.

You can have any of the below GPU (tested) depending on your motherboard:

* Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Integrated)

* Nvidia GeForce GTX 745

* AMD Radeon ™ R5 340X

* AMD Radeon™ R7 350X

Please private message us the service tag of the system along with your email id, if you have any query.

(Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information).

June 25th, 2016 11:00

Thanks for the info.

Kindly tell me: Is it possible to salvage the CPU, RAM and SSD of the Dell 7040 MT to my personal PC which has compatible motherboard (Z170 chipset and LGA1151 socket) ?

(I know doing so will void the warranty. As long as I dont care about getting warranty support from Dell)

June 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi iamprateekprakash,

We cannot recommend that it would work as it has not been tested but as per your discretion you can try but as you have rightly noted it would void the warranty with Dell.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2016 17:00

Hi i was wondering if i could fit an r9 nano in the optiplex mini tower i7? Also is there an extra power lead that a can xconnect the 8 pin connector that i need to power it up woth?

2 Posts

November 4th, 2016 17:00

Hi i was wondering if i could fit an r9 nano in the optiplex mini tower i7? Also is there an extra power lead that a can xconnect the 8 pin connector that i need to power it up with?

November 5th, 2016 03:00

Nope, the power supply that comes with dell does not have any 8pin connectors for GPU.

No Events found!