Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2009 15:00

Dell xps 400 will not boot.

I purcachased a dell xps 400 a few years ago, and now it will not boot. Although, when the PSU is plugged in, the mobo light is on. I've tried unplugging it for 12 hours then plugging it back in, only to hear the computer breifly start up (fans and harddrive) only to quickly shutdown. I then tried hitting the power button, but it would not boot. I've also tried a different power outlet and cable, as well as unplugging everything. I also checked the cables inside the computer and made sure they were tight.

Thanks for hearing me out :emotion-1:

4 Posts

I'll try unplugging some other stuff later then, as far as my power light..... it does not go on. Completely dark.

And these diagnotsic lights, what exactly are they? I only see one led inside the mobo that is green

EDIT I think I found the problem, something in plugged in....it's a narrow space, so it'll probably take some effort to get it back in. I'll post bak with results.

4 Posts

great, it works but now I get a BSOD  and it automatically resets .....too soon to read the BSOD itself.....will fix it later,

Thanks

14.4K Posts

See HERE for diagnostic lights.

14.4K Posts

what is the color and condition of the power button light. how about your diagnostic lights?

You said you unplugged everything does that mean you pulled out all the ram sticks, pulled out all the cards and disconnected the power connectors going to all the drives?

If not try that with everything out if you power on the system and the fans spin up then the motherboard is the most likely cause.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2009 15:00

Haha, just forgot to change the raid setup,

No Events found!