Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R2

November 22nd, 2017 08:00

Dell xps 8910 One of the rear USB 2.0 PORTS , stopped working , constant alarm beeps.

Hello , my xps 8910 keyboard stopped working . It works on other usb 3.0 ports . Bios is updated and it passes dell diagnostics[f2]. Any suggestions . Thanks 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 11:00

There are several other long threads about this exact topic. Suggest you search for and read them.  Dell is aware of the issue and investigating...

As for the beeps, is there a pattern to the beeps (beep code)? You can look up beep codes in the manual. Depending on what the beep code tells you, you may want reseat RAM modules and PCI-e cards in their slots and/or try to clear BIOS:

Power off, unplug. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Reinstall the battery, close up and reboot...

62 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 12:00

Thanks RoHe , yes I just went through the threads . The usb port next to Ethernet port stopped working . I tried few thing , nothing seems to work . I have the keyboard on one of the usb 3.0 ports. I get constant sound alarm[like when u insert a usb device] on the usb 2.0 port . Thanks again

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 15:00

I pinged my Dell tech contacts again to see if there's an update on the status of the investigation into this problem. Given that it's a holiday week and Dell is closed until Monday, I don't expect any responses before -say- midweek, next week.

For now, just keep using the keyboard on a USB3 port. If you really need those USB3 ports for other devices, some users reported that connecting a USB2 hub to the  rear USB2 port and connecting the keyboard through that hub is a work-around.

62 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 16:00

Hi , yeah using USB 3 port . Warranty ran out last week ..sigh !. Thanks .

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 14:00

Dell wants to know if you've tried completely wiping the hard drive and doing a clean install of Windows from a USB stick followed by all the latest chipsets and other hardware drivers? (NOT a Reset or Refresh from inside Windows.)

Be sure to back up personal files on external media before wiping the drive and have product keys available for any software you installed (eg, MS Office) before you wipe the drive.

Yes, painful and time consuming... :emotion-7:

62 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 20:00

Hi RoHe , No I have not reinstalled windows , all the drivers are up to date .I ran the windows hardware diagnostics and obviously get an error for the malfunctioning port . Everything seems to be working fine while using the 3.0 usb port at the moment .

If I plug the keyboard back in usb 2.0 port, I can't even look at the device manager window because it starts flickering . . Thanks for your time .

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

November 24th, 2017 17:00

It's my understanding that Dell captured a couple of these systems with USB2 port failures. They wiped the hard drives and did a full clean install of Windows and all drivers. The problem didn't recur...

It's up to you to decide if it's worth the time/effort to wipe and reinstall or just live with using the mouse and keyboard on USB3 ports.

Alternatively, try what other users found to work:  Connect a USB2 hub to a rear USB2 port and plug mouse and keyboard in via the hub.

62 Posts

November 24th, 2017 18:00

Hi RoHe , everything is working fine with 3.0 ports , if I do run into more issues , I would install windows again using the USB recovery stick I made when I first got the system . Thanks .

62 Posts

November 24th, 2017 20:00

Thanks RoHe .

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

And one more thingy... The USB you made when you first got the PC is totally out of date, because MS has released several total updates to Win 10 since then.

You'd be better off creating a new USB with the Fall Creators Update so you won't have to install 100's of updates to the version on your old USB and then update to Fall Creators.  You can download the ISO file to create a new USB directly from the MS site for free...

www.microsoft.com/.../windows10

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

And keep in mind I can't promise that a clean install will solve the USB2 problem for you... :emotion-5:

1 Message

December 4th, 2017 18:00

I just lost both of my USB2 ports on my XPS 8910.  Happened immediately after installation of BIOS update to 1.1.3.  I'm not sure, but I think that I was running BIOS 1.1.0 before the update.

I tried some of the tricks suggested above, with no success.  As far as I'm concerned, this is definitely a BIOS update issue.

62 Posts

December 4th, 2017 21:00

Hi IvanBurns , I updated the Bios from 1.1.0 to 1.12 and then 1.1.3, mainly because of the loud fan noise , I called tech support and he ran dell diagnostics [not windows ] , which immediately helped with fan noise and then load defaults in bios[1.1.3] . Few weeks later USB 2.0 PORT next to Ethernet port , stopped working

I tried different things but nothing worked . Using 3.0 port right now . If the issue comes back then I will  do the fresh install of windows.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 5th, 2017 12:00

Random, off-the-wall thoughts, but reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS Setup.

What's the status of these  options, enabled or disabled:

Secure Boot

Deep Sleep Control

USB Wake Support (S3)

USB PowerShare (S4/S5)

USB PowerShare Wake Support (S4/S5)

62 Posts

December 6th, 2017 12:00

Hi RoHe , yes Loaded default values , saved and exit . Lost the second USB 2.0 port today too. Everything is working with 3.0 ports . Thanks for your time

No Events found!