Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2010 06:00

Dell xps600 will not boot up but has power green light orange light

I try to turn on my dell xps600 but the fans come on the light stays orange and it shuts off right away.  I seen two caps near the ram slots are a little discolored as if they may have blown out.

The lights under the usb slots show 1 2 3 4 well the 4 stays green

Any suggestions.

I read on the internet this is an issue with dell's xps600 do I have the right for a replacement part for free seeing this is a consistent and known issue?
Will dell honor this or should I be looking at buying a new pc?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 30th, 2010 14:00

If a capacitor has leaked or swelled, the motherboard is toast.

If the system is under warranty, Dell will replace the motherboard for free. If the warranty is over, you don't have any right to get free parts. Just like a car, once the warranty expires, you pay for all the repairs.

You can look around on eBay to see if you can buy a motherboard, or you can probaby order it from Dell Spare Parts. There are also some companies that can replace capacitors on motherboards so look around on the net.

Only you can decide whether and how much to spend fixing this system versus buying a new one...

Ron

April 30th, 2010 19:00

I think they are blown. Look at my picture.

http://www.blogengage.com/images/IMG_0003.JPG

l see it happens a lot to dell  xps600 computers maybe it should be a recall. Imagine Dell could be the next Toyota lol. I paid a lot of money for the P.C.

But on another note and more positive because of Dell's amazing service when under warranty I decided to just buy another computer.

I purchased the xps 9000 and I'm excited to get it.

STUDIO XPS 9000

Intel® Core™ i7-920 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz), 64bit, 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz – 6 DIMMs 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive, ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB GDDR5.

This is the blog I did about it.

May 17th Delivery Date

Whats the cost of those? is the board going to be damaged in anyway to the point of no repair?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

Roger that, fried capacitors. :emotion-6:

Dell has had issues in the past on other systems with blown capacitors, but the only related recall I remember was for an Optiplex model. I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask...nicely.  :emotion-5:

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the new 9000!

Ron

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 30th, 2010 21:00

If you're talking about new capacitors, they probably don't cost more than ~$1-$2, if that much. But the replacements have to match specs, and you need somebody with experience using a soldering iron to replace parts on the motherboard without melting the 'traces" (circuit lines) or damaging other parts.

There are companies that replace bumt capacitors on motherboards. This one seems to specialize in Dell Optiplex motherboards and charges~$50 per board.  I don't know them at all so use your own judgement.

Since the board doesn't work now, there's no point in turinng the PC on again, and you might as well unplug it. I suppose if you keep turning it on, you could damage other parts too.

Ron

No Events found!