Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2008 01:00

Dimension 1100 will not boot

When powering up the following is displayed... Primary drive 1 not found, Secondary drive 0 not found, Secondary drive 1 not found..

I have run a complete diagnostics everything has passed except for the following:

4500:0119 Port is operating outside speed tolerances. Port address 3F8h is transmitting at 111999 cps against expected 11520 cps.

I have run the restore disk to reload the OS and see that it is writting to the HD. I have taken the HD into Fry's for a diagnostic test and it passed.

Any ideas???? 

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

March 9th, 2008 12:00

Boot to the System Setup (F2 at Dell screen)

Turn on all keyboard lights (Caps Lock, Scroll Lock, Num Lock) 

Press ALT+E,  ALT+F, ALT+B

This will reset BIOS defaults and force drive redetection on boot.

If the system shipped without a floppy disk drive, then after the ALT+F you need to set Diskette Drive to None, and the Diskette Interface in Integrated devices to OFF before ALT+B

3 Posts

March 10th, 2008 03:00

Thanks for the info. it worked.. however, the system still does not recognize the hard drive. When I boot up it now performs the automatic IDE configuration, recognizes the Primary Master as the CD-ROM Device and then prompts me to strike F1 to retry boot or F2 for setup utility.

When I boot with the OS reinstallation the install stops with a 'no HD present' prompt.. I have run the diagnostic and everything passes... any other ideas?

Thanks for your help

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

March 10th, 2008 04:00

Buy a new hard drive

No Events found!