Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MW

December 2nd, 2003 09:00

Dimension 2350 dual graphics cards, IEG upgrade

I have the intel extreeme onboard graphics at the moment & i am planning on upgrading it. I've already falshed my bios to do this. Once the new card is installed, can i run 1 monitor off card1 and monitor 2 off card 2??  Also I dont have an agp slot, so could you suggest a decent 128meg PCI graphics card please??? - I thought of the new geforce fx 5200 128 mb PCI.  If this one, which company??  Thanks Mark

199 Posts

December 2nd, 2003 10:00

Here's a review of many different PCI cards:

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=445

You can run two monitors from most single PCI video cards.  There's really no need to use 2 cards to do so.  Many PCI cards have both a CRT(VGA) connection and a DVI connection.  If the DVI connection is DVI-I (which most of them are) then you can use a DVI-VGA adapter to run a 2nd CRT monitor, if you have one.  However, a few cards, like the 9100 PCI, have a DVI-D connection, which will only work with DVI cables and not DVI-VGA adapters.

In the review, the first chart specifies which cards have which type of connectors.

That should help a little.

December 2nd, 2003 13:00

Thanks for that.  but i cant seem to find most of the cards on that review.  Does anyone know of a place that has reviewed lots of different geforce fx 5200 128mb PCI cards????

Thanks Mark

199 Posts

December 2nd, 2003 14:00

Well, there were 3 different FX 5200 PCI cards in the review, plus an FX 5600 PCI.  Which one in particular were you looking for info on?

Message Edited by Mloot on 12-02-2003 10:58 AM

December 2nd, 2003 15:00

Thanks a lot, i'll have a mooch round the forum & find sum info.

I was looking at the creative FX5200, and wanted to know the reviews on it when compared to other fx5200 cards.

I am also looking now at upgrading my motherboard so i could get a agp card.  apparently (according to dell)for the intel 845gl chipset (current one), i need PC2100 ram but on the chipset spec else where it says, DDR266 SDRAM. Are these the same??? Also the dimension 2350 is micro atx or atx??

Could you suggest a cheap motherboard that has usb 2.0, AGP 8X, audio, lan, Firewire (optional), socket 478 ( compatible with current P42.4ghz), ram (same type as current).

thanks again

199 Posts

You see, the problem is that there really aren't many PCI video card reviews at all.  Now, according to Creative's spec. page (linked below), the Creative PCI FX 5200 128mb has a core speed of 250mhz and a memory clock speed of 400mhz.  In the review I linked to earlier, you'll see that the Inno3D FX 5200 PCI has the exact same specs, so the performance should be identical to the Creative card.  AFAIK, no one has reviewed the Creative 5200 PCI.

http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?prod=544&page=6

I'm guessing that you are somewhere in Europe?  If you are in the U.S., I can tell you where to get most of the cards listed in the review. 

EDIT:  From what I've read here on the forums, if you want to change the motherboard, you will probably want to buy a new case and power supply.  I believe that the Dell motherboard and PSU have proprietary connections that can cause you some headaches if you try to put in a different motherboard in the Dell case, or use the Dell motherboard in a different case.  Others here on the forum will know more about that than I, though.

Message Edited by Mloot on 12-02-2003 11:13 AM

No Events found!