Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2010 13:00

Dimension 2400- How to reset bios without video output?

I have Dimension 2400 running Win XP. It has a Bluford E139765 motherboard.  The on board video connector broke ( connector detached from motherboard).  I tried to install a PCI video card (PNY Verto - w/ nVidia GeForce 8400 GS). On start up after installing the PCI card, I went into bios and mistakenly set the integrated devices to "on board" instead of leaving it on "auto".  Now I have no video output. WIthout video, how can I reset bios to the "auto" mode so I can try to properly install and enable the PCI card.          Barry

6.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 13:00

Unplug everything, especially power, open the case, locate the CMOS (NVRAM) back-up battery on the lower right corner of the motherboard.  Remove the battery, push the power button (with power still unplugged) and hold it in for about 15 seconds.  Wait five minutes and put the back-up battery back in its holder, the side with the markings facing up so that you can see them.  This will set the BIOS to defaults, one of which is to place the video setting into automatic.  You will also need to go back to setup and set the diskette drive to off unless you really have one.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 16:00

Removing battery did reset the bios. I was able to confirm that primary video controller is on "auto". Thanks.

I now have an additional problem. On start up, monitor shows that the PNY Verto card is recognized and boot up process begins. I see the Win XP logo for a while as boot up proceeds, but when I should be going to my desktop, etc., the monitor stays blank. No cursor indication, nothing. THe HDD keeps operating as though it's doing something, but can't see what.  Interestingly, the power light on the Dell Flat Panel monitor (E171FPb) stays green as though it's getting input (does not go to amber). The new PCI video card is installed in the middle slot (PCI 2 ?).  I cannot check hardward or install any drivers, etc, since the on board video connector is broken.

Any suggestions?   Thanks, Barry

6.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 21:00

You haven't loaded the driver for the video card.  Windows has a default driver for a 640X480 screen, but it won't use it since you had a driver already loaded for the on-board video.  You need to go to safe mode; restart, tap F8 just before Windows starts to load and choose safe mode.  This mode uses a 640X480 resolution that is compatible with all video cards.  Go to the Device Manager, locate Display Adapters and click on the "+" symbol to expand the category.  You should find the Intel Graphics Adapter listed.  Double click it to get to its properties screen, go to the Device Usage menu at the bottom, click on the arrow on the right of the long narrow box to get your choices, and select "Do Not Use This Device; Disable".  Allow the computer to reboot to see if you now get a display on the screen in normal Windows.

If you get a display now, load the driver for the card.  There should have been a CD containing the drivers in the packaging for the card.  Allow it to Autorun and bring up its installation menu and follow the on-screen directions.  By the way; you may get a "found new hardware" wizard when you at last boot to Windows.  The directions usually call for you to cancel the wizard and don't allow Windows to search for a driver.  Use the installer that is on the driver CD instead.

If after disabling the on-board video you still don't see a display when you allow Windows to start normally, try installing the driver in Safe Mode.

3 Posts

August 24th, 2010 11:00

Your answer solved my problem. Thank you very much. Everything is running well now. Your assistance not only solved my problem, but I learned some things from it, and that made my effort worthwhile. Thanks again and keep up the good work.    Barry

6.4K Posts

August 24th, 2010 11:00

You're quite welcome.  Happy computing!

No Events found!