Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2010 20:00

Dimension 2400 Intermittently Goes Blank

I am working on a Dimension 2400 that is intermittently shutting down.  It simply blanks the screen and the disk light is blank and the power light is amber.  The lights on the back of the computer are a, b, c -- amber and d off.  I recently upgraded the memory on this computer with a dyn 512 mb simm.  I am getting the problem with either simm in by itself.  Any ideas?    This computer belongs to a nearly blind person who uses JAWS to read the screen.

Thanks,

Jim Snively

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 21st, 2010 21:00

I am working on a Dimension 2400 that is intermittently shutting down.  It simply blanks the screen and the disk light is blank and the power light is amber.  The lights on the back of the computer are a, b, c -- amber and d off.  I recently upgraded the memory on this computer with a dyn 512 mb simm.  I am getting the problem with either simm in by itself.  Any ideas?    This computer belongs to a nearly blind person who uses JAWS to read the screen.

Thanks,

Jim Snively

JimSnively

Have you tried using only the default memory, without the 512mb upgrade and see if it makes a difference.

Note: The Dimension 2400 does not have SIMMs, it has DIMMs and supports DDR SDRAM memory modules.

YYYx is not a recognized diagnostic code.

Is the power light blinking amber, or solid amber?

Are there any 'Beeps'?

The Dimension 2400 Troubleshooter and Diagnostic Guide, is HERE

Bev.

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 07:00

Bev,

I tried the original DIMM and the upgrade DIMM alone and still get the problem.

The power light solid amber.  I adjusted the power settings for display and HDD to never.

This is an out of waranty system so I can't use chat for technical support and was hoping to

solve it  on my own.

Thanks for your help.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 08:00

JimSnively

A solid amber could mean a failed motherboard. 

Try unplugging the power cord, then press and hold the power button in for at least 10 seconds, then reconnect the cord and turn on.

You could also, try reseating the processor.  But, in most cases replacing the motherboard is the answer. 

If you are comfortable working around computers, try the following:

Remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If the fans spin up and there is no change in the diagnostic lights, or beep sequence, then it would appear that the motherboard has died and will need to be replaced.

Bev.

872 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 09:00

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 10:00

Muto,

I was thinking it was the power supply.  Where can I get a used Dell branded power supply?  I am leaving for 2 weeks vacation and don't want to hold this system that long.

Jim

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 22nd, 2010 12:00

Muto,

I was thinking it was the power supply.  Where can I get a used Dell branded power supply?  I am leaving for 2 weeks vacation and don't want to hold this system that long.

Jim

JimSnively

HERE

Bev.

872 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 21:00

4 Posts

August 17th, 2010 06:00

I have replaced the power supply and now the system runs for 2-3 hours and then shuts down with the same symptoms -- power supply light and A,B,C amber and D off.  When I reboot I get the message: Alert! Previous shutdown doe to a thermal failure.  All the fans seem to be running.  What next?  Motherboard replacement?

Thanks,

Jim Snively

872 Posts

August 17th, 2010 07:00

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

I have replaced the power supply and now the system runs for 2-3 hours and then shuts down with the same symptoms -- power supply light and A,B,C amber and D off.  When I reboot I get the message: Alert! Previous shutdown doe to a thermal failure.  All the fans seem to be running.  What next?  Motherboard replacement?

Thanks,

Jim Snively

JimSnively

Open the case and check that both the processor and chipset heatsinks are still firmly attached to the motherboard, also, check that the inside of the case, fans, processor heatsink's cooling fins and the air intakes in the front panel have no accumulated dust buildup.

Bev.

872 Posts

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 29th, 2010 12:00

taxrus

If there any capacitors on the motherboard with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

Then the morherboard needs to be replaced.

Bev.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2010 12:00

I am working on a 2400 right now that does the exact same thing , screen goes blank, power light goes amber, ABC goes amber D not on, HD light goes solid geen.

Do you have any popped capacitors? This one does and I am assuming that is the problem.

Rod

3 Posts

August 29th, 2010 14:00

I agree

However I don't really recomend throwing money at old computers when the problem is mb or processor.

Seems one could replace it with a new computer having alot more ram, hd, processor speed, prob dvd burner, etc for not alot more than repairs, especially figuring you would still have an old outdated computer.Compared to going forward with a new much faster up to date one.

Rod

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 29th, 2010 15:00

taxrus

Personally, I also think that the money for replacing the motherboard of an obsolete 'Basic Entry' system like the Dimension 2400, would be better employed towards buying a new Windows 7 desktop.

Bev.

No Events found!