Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2007 12:00

Dimension 2400 Motherboard replacement or upgrade?

I have a Dim2400 desktop that the motherboard has crashed.  I have been trying to order this part throught Dell Parts and Services since last August.  Twice the order was taken for a Service Kit, Planar, DIM2400, FoxElectronics (HY001) and twice within a couple days I am informed that the orders were cancelled.  Seems this board is no longer available in their supply system.  I bought my PC from Dell just 3 years ago and within a month of my service warrenty expiring the motherboard crashs along with the power supply, for no reason.  What recourse do I have?  Can this system use a different board, does it have to be a HY001?  Does anyone know of any other places I can turn to to find a replacement.  I am at a loss.  Dell's customer service and parts service have been of little help.  Thanks for any help.  Tom

3 Posts

Thanks I will give that part number a try.  In cases like these, is Dell still the only supplier of these parts.  I am becoming a very unhappy customer of Dell and doubt I will ever buy a system from them after this.

4.8K Posts

VATomcat,

A different part number for this motherboard is F5949.

Steve

4.8K Posts

October 22nd, 2007 13:00

VATomcat,

You are welcome.  One of the biggest problems that Dell has in the area of customer service is that they do not have any representation "on the street".  Unlike other major brands, Dell sells and supports their products themselves instead of through authorized dealers.  This makes it very difficult for customers to have a consistent point of contact for help, service, upgrades, and support.

Steve

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 22nd, 2007 20:00

VATomcat

You can buy a Dell OEM D-2400 motherboard for $99.99, free S&H from here.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

3 Posts

October 23rd, 2007 12:00

Thanks Bev, I went to the site and ordered the part.  Now maybe I can get back to working at home.  I should have come to this community a long time ago to seek help, I sure was not getting it from Dell.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 23rd, 2007 21:00

You're Welcome. :)

Bev.

1 Message

March 10th, 2008 01:00

Hi i am a new user and I need some advise re the dimension 2400 motherboard.  i took my computer to staples thinkin i needed more ram because i have running on 256 for 4 years anyway the staples rep called me to say my motherboard may need to be replaced due to the amber light is still coming on even after the new ram was installed could this be true?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 10th, 2008 02:00

Kmduhon

Sorry, cannot say, there's not enough information.

You need to post a full description of the problem, have you checked the reading of the diagnostic lights on the back panel and the colour of the power button LED.

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Check the sequence of the Diagnostic Lights

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

on the back panel.

Bev.

No Events found!