Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 15:00

Dimension 4600 won't boot

My Dimension 4600 quit at the Windows XP screen.  I turned it off and it quit on the DELL BIOS screen.  Now all I get is a black screen that says:"Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint [Krst].  For help resolving this problem please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support".  The four LEDs on the back are green, orange, orange, green.  Can someone tell me what has failed?

872 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 16:00

31 Posts

If you got the windows screen, you got past the hardware boot. I don't know what happened the second time, but you might try using the original OS disk and booting from that.

If the disk is going bad (does it make a clicking noise?) you may be able to just replace it and restore all your "backed up data" which I'm sure you have. Right? :)

4 Posts

Won't boot on disk.  No clicking sound

14.4K Posts

Hello BRColeman and welcome to the Dell forums.

Your diagnostic light sequence as shown HERE <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> s not documented. normally this indicates a bad motherboard. 

but before we settle on that lets try some things. First unplug any external devices with the exception of the keyboard,mouse, and monitor. try to boot the system. Note if lights have changed.

If you are comfortable working inside your computer then I would suggest that you open the case and remove your ram sticks and cards. power on the system and look at the lights to see if they have changed.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 17:00

No change with external devices removed.  No change with internal cards removed.  when memory sticks removed it made a deep beep a number of times and then came up green, orange, orange, orange.

In all cases still get the same black screen with the above statement. 

14.4K Posts

I dont expect the system to boot with all the stuff removed. Now However the G,O,O,O coded and beeps are exactly what you should get with no memory modules installed. This might be a good sign that the mother board is good!

So the next step place in your video card and power on the system see if you still get the beeps and g,o,o,o lights. If so, select one memory stick and place it into slot #1 the slot closest to the processor. power on the system. note the lights and any beeps. Remove that stick and repeat with each memory stick. This is testing to see if you have any bad memory modules.

Report back

4 Posts

Muto:

You are a GENIUS!!!!!!  The battery trick solved the problem.  It boots up and windows came up.  Before I spend time trying to get the system setup back to where it was I'm going to run down to the store and get a new battery.

THANKS FOR THE HELP!!!!!!

872 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 18:00

No Events found!