Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

August 8th, 2007 16:00

Dimension 5100c No more Audio

Had to reinstall windows due to video driver problems/viruses. Now there is no audio device.

I've reinstalled the auido drivers that dell provides. That didn't work.
I've reinstalled the motherboard drivers. no go
I've reflashed the bios to A03. Still nothing
I've gone into the bios to make sure auido was on. It was.

I wanted to see if I can get Windows to detect new hardware and reinstall drivers that way but I can't delete all the sound devices. (It will not allow me to. Only the sigmatel audio is uninstallable.)

I'm not entirely sure I have anything left to try.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Greatly appreciated,
Glenn
PDA, Corp.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2007 17:00

I have the EXACT same problem...I've tried all audio drivers on my service tag and done everything the original poster has tried. The dell cd was a complete waste...I had to download the internet drivers from another computer to get onto the internet... Anyway, how can I get sound installed on this? My service tag is expired so I can't chat with the technical support staff in India.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

In a reinstall, after installing Windows XP you need to install the chipset drivers  Download Here  and then install the device drivers such as the Sound   Download Here 

If you didn't do that, it's probably your problem.  Windows does not have drivers for your sound, or if it does they are the wrong drivers. 

3 Posts

I guess calling exploited globalized tech support is the last thing to do huh? I'll let you know if they have any fixes to this problem.

3 Posts

I've reinstalled the auido drivers that dell provides. That didn't work.
I've reinstalled the motherboard drivers. no go
I've reflashed the bios to A03. Still nothing
I've gone into the bios to make sure auido was on. It was.

3 Posts

August 8th, 2007 18:00

Let me know if you. Thanks I appreciate it

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 8th, 2007 21:00

The correct install sequence (and it does work) is (1) Install Windows (2) Install chipset drivers (3) install device drivers (e.g. sound) (4) install applications and backed up user data. 

As I read the sequence you did not install in this order.  The BIOS is not the problem, unless you have the on-board audio disabled in the BIOS.

The chipset drivers define what is on or attached to the motherboard.
No Events found!