Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 6th, 2013 09:00

Dimension 5150 will not power up.

Dimension 5150 would not power up so purchased/installed a new motherboard. Will still not power -up. Any thoughts/ideas??

I am a senior user with very little knowledge so comments/checking procedures should be fairly basic/simple..:emotion-2:..Thanks

2.2K Posts

March 6th, 2013 10:00

Hi Billy,

Welcome to the Community.

Do you not see any light at the front or even at the back of the system?

Did you try a different power supply?

Also, let me know if you get any of the diagnostic indicators mentioned below:

LED pattern Code Translation
Image - Diagram illustrates no diag leds on. System POST complete – LED timeout has occurred
Image - Diagram illustrates the #4 led on. BIOS Checksum Failure – Recovery Mode
Image - Diagram illustrates the #3 led on. CPU configuration activity or failure
Image - Diagram illustrates the #3 and #4 leds on. Memory subsystem configuration activity or failure
Image - Diagram illustrates the #2 led on. PCI device configuration or failure
Image - Diagram illustrates the #2 and #4 leds on. Video subsystem configuration or failure
Image - Diagram illustrates the #2 and #3 leds on. Storage device configuration or failure
Image - Diagram illustrates the @2, #3, and #4 leds on. USB subsystem configuration activity or failure
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1 led on. No memory detected
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1 and #4 leds on. Fatal system board failure detected
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1 and #3 leds on. Memory detected, configuration or compatibility error
Image - Diagram illustrates the #1, #3, and #4 leds on. System activity preceding video initialization
Image - Diagram illustrates #1 and #2 leds on. System resource configuration
Image - Diagram illustrates #1, #2, and #4 leds on. Reserved
Image - Diagram illustrates #1, #2, and #3 leds on. POST complete – Onscreen error message
Image - Diagram illustrates #1, #2, #3, and #4 leds on. POST complete – OS handoff complete

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

March 6th, 2013 11:00

Hi Manshu S,

There is a blinking light at the off-on switch and a greenlight on the motherboard near the ATX power input.

How will I see the diagnostic indicators as I have no diagnostic equipment.

BTW - Since posting I was told to use a paperclip alongside  the green and black wires of the ATX Main Power cable and the fan/power startsup when I  do this. .

2.2K Posts

March 7th, 2013 09:00

Hi Billy,

Let me know the color of the power led as well.

You don't need any diagnostic equipment to see diagnostic indicators. Please refer to the picture below to know where the diagnostic lights are:

Image - Diagram illustrating the front of the Smith chassis. 

Also, please check if you have replaced the system board correctly. You may refer to the manual below:

http://bit.ly/Zu345i

NOTE: System board replacement is advised to be done by a professional only.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 7th, 2013 10:00

Dimension 5150 would not power up so purchased/installed a new motherboard. Will still not power -up. Any thoughts/ideas??

Have you replaced the power supply? If not and your 5150 still has its original power supply, I suggest a new one.

This is a good budget choice that is superior in quality to the OEM unit.

No Events found!