Highlighted
duh.hunh
Bronze

Dimension 8400 Windows 8 install issue

Jump to solution

Hi forums,

I've been trying to install my Windows 8 upgrade on my Dell Dimension 8400 (it's my backup pc pls don't laugh)

It get's most of the way through and then comes up with the following errors:

Error Code: 0x0000005D

0x030F0304

0x756E6547

0x49656E69

0x6C65746E

I have Windows 7 installed currently, and Ubuntu set for dual-boot.  Upon rebooting I get around 5 entries pop up in my boot selector, and choosing windows 7 returns everything to normal.

Any suggestion?  I read others have gotten Win8 on this machine successfully and others had trouble with the sound drivers, so I have to assume the trouble is on my end..

0 Kudos
38 Replies
RoHe
Diamond

Re: Dimension 8400 Windows 8 install issue

Jump to solution

CPU in your D8400 may not be compatible with Win 8.  The CPU must support the following : 

Physical Address Extension (PAE), NX, and SSE2.  Most CPUs have support for these features, so if you receive this error, it is likely because the NX feature is not enabled on your system.

If others have successfully installed Win 8 on D8400, you may be able to upgrade the CPU to one that is compatible.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

Do you have an option to enable the "No Execute" bit in your BIOS?

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Jump to solution

Do you have an option to enable the "No Execute" bit in your BIOS?

Not in BIOS A09 on my 8400.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
duh.hunh
Bronze

Jump to solution

no, I'm struggling right now as to how to update this bios.  I got the A09 final bios installed fine, but that one still doesn't add the 'no execute' option..  So Dell has made an updated version of bios A09 here: downloads.dell.com/.../GXa_A09.exe

but It's in DOS.. so I'm having trouble.

Finally got it running in DosBox and DosShell but i'm getting an error "unrecognized system"

At least these little breaks shall afford me time to tie a proper noose for myself, as DOS bios flashes are best solved by one of these devices

0 Kudos
duh.hunh
Bronze

Jump to solution

if anyone knows how to install a dos bios wants to give this a try..

It's a recent revision that (I think)  adds the 'no execute' option to the A09 bios

0 Kudos
duh.hunh
Bronze

Jump to solution

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails  here's the info and link to the revision

0 Kudos
rdunnill
Diamond

Jump to solution

There's a utility to make bootable USB flash drives, if that will work. Otherwise, I'd suggest a bootable floppy.

0 Kudos
duh.hunh
Bronze

Jump to solution

I just checked with "Coreinfo"   technet.microsoft.com/.../cc835722.aspx , a free cpu parameter reader and the Dimension 8400 DOES SUPPORT NO-EXECUTE PAGE PROTECTION.

So this should work.

0 Kudos
RoHe
Diamond

Jump to solution

Why do you think the version of BIOS at your link should install on your Dimension 8400??  Compatibility for the version you linked is for Optiplex GXa and OptiPlex NX.

The last version of BIOS (A09) for the Dimension 8400 was released in 2006, but the one you're trying to install was released 6 years earlier, in 2000.  Your CPU may support the functions needed for Win 8, but if Dell didn't implement all of them in BIOS, it still ain't gonna work.

If you install that Optiplex BIOS, assuming it allows you to install it, you're likely going to brick your motherboard.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos