Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2009 17:00

Dimension 9150 No audio Device

After a clean install of Windows XP Media Centre Edition I have no sound. I have a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme music card. There is no speaker icon in system tray. In Sounds and Audio Devices in Control Panel it says "No Audio Device". Listed in Device Manager under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" is:- Audio Codecs, Creative SB X-Fi,  Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy Video Capture Devices, Media Control Devices, Video Codecs. Can anyone please help?

2.6K Posts

June 21st, 2009 18:00

I'll assume you've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver for it, either from Dell or Creative's site, or from the CD.  And will assume device manager says it's working,  everything else in device manager is fine (no flags),  but still the control panel insists you have no audio device.

There's a specific install order for drivers after a reformat (linked below).   Often omitting the chipset drivers causes hardware not to be recognized properly.    Since your card is actually detected in device manager,  it's probably not the problem, but won't hurt to do it anyway if you missed it.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/downloads/en/driver_install_order?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~lt=print

Beyond that, couple things to check:

1) Under Sounds and Audio in Control Panel, under the Sounds tab, can you change the default device to the XiFI?  If not.....

2) Make sure the audio service is running.   Start, run, type Services.msc.   Scroll down to Windows Audio Service, make sure it's set to Started and Automatic.

3) Long shot, but won't take but a minute.  Go into your BIOS (system setup), and under Onboard devices make sure the integrated audio is turned OFF.   If it's on, could be causing a conflict - Windows can handle only one default audio device at a time.  System Setup details below:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

4 Posts

October 20th, 2009 01:00

I also own a Dell 9150. I have tried everything suggested here. Unlike others I did nothing with my audio settings or unplug my cords. It just suddenly stopped working. I have updated my drivers(from Dell site),

1. I have tested my cables, 
  2. I have passed the SB diagnostics, 
  3. made sure my BIOS Audio settings are off, 
  4. Audios Services are auto... 
but my speakers and headphone are still not working.  I am tempted to buy a new sounds card for replacement. Please help as I need to edit a video for a client 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 20th, 2009 04:00

As you have a separate SoundBlaster sound card, one thing to try - reseat the card.  Reseat - with the PC powered off, disconnect the speaker connection to the SoundBlaster sound card, open the case and remove the card.  Then reinstall the card, making sure it's fully and correctly seated.  Plug the speaker connection back in, power on the PC and see if that restores the sound.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2009 06:00

Thanks Fireberd. Did what you suggested but same results. It passes all the diagnostics but both speakers and headphone is still not working. Inserted in a different slot also -same results. I even updated the driver from CreativeSB site - same results. Nothing changes for the amount of time I am spending on this.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 20th, 2009 07:00

Rather than hijack this thread, start a new thread with your problem.  Although you have the same model PC and an audio problem it is a different problem.

No Events found!