Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2010 12:00

Dimension 9200 - W7 Upgrade - Soundblaster Audigy Driver Problem

Hi!

I own a Dimension 9200, which crashed fresh out-of-warranty. (Sept. 2007 built) Since it makes little sense to bring this back to Vista, I re-installed it with a store bought version of W7-Ultimate. Aside the usual pain that goes with rebuilding a machine it was a fairly smooth process except for the sound card.

This machine has a Creative integrated (on motherboard) SoundBlaster Audigy and came with SB Audigy Advanced MB software. But it will not install. I do get sound, but the card is not registered as a SoundBlaster. Instead it says "High Definition Audio Device" in Device Manager. The attached driver says "Microsoft - 7-13-2009 - Driver V. 6.1.7600.16385" The Audigy Advanced MB installation process reports "No sound card found". I also tried to update the driver from the Device Manager dialog and got a message "The best driver software for your device is already installed".

I further tried every driver download package that CREATIVE offers under the name Soundblaster Audigy, but none will find the card. At this point I am out of my wits and would be very grateful for a heads-up!

Cheers

Jan

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 20th, 2010 03:00

That Creative package is a SOFTWARE ONLY enhancement to the Integrated (on the motherboard) audio.  It is NOT Windows 7 compatible and has been discontinued and not offered as an option on new PC's.  It was an OEM package and not directly supported by Creative. 

Generally, Win 7 will install needed drivers but from many posts on here and other forums you need Dell sound drivers for the sound.  Non Dell drivers either will not work or not work correctly.  If your integrated audio is working OK consider yourself lucky and go with it.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2010 15:00

I am in a works-sort-of situation. I have a five-speaker premium audio surround setup, I am getting decent stereo and bass from the subwoofer, but center-front and -rear speakers do diddleysquat. Dell does not seem to offer W7 drivers for this machine, yet I am surely not the only guy who updated a Dimension 9200 (XPS 410) to W7. Rats!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 21st, 2010 15:00

THIS is the Dell SigmaTel driver for Vista 32 bit and 64 bit.  It should work OK on Win 7, as Win 7 is basically "Vista Improved".   Uninstall whatever sound driver you have now and install this driver.   You must use the Dell supplied driver as non-Dell drivers will either not work or not work correctly.

If you can't find a workable Sound Driver, you can do what others that have upgraded systems that there are no sound drivers, install a PCI sound card that is Windows 7 compatible.   This is not just a "Dell" problem, I've seen posts on the Windows 7 forum from users with home built systems, with retail motherboards, that have upgraded from XP to Win 7 and ran across lack of Win 7 drivers for some devices.

6 Posts

November 25th, 2012 18:00

I found a driver a wail back on softpedia that some programmer  made in Romania called KX media or KX-sound for Creative Sound Blaster audio cards doesn't matter what slot pci pci-e, whatever you have it will work. this driver is  supported by windows 7 that works quite well with way more detailed sound options. The only thing is is that if you have a game port on your card it will not be recognized by the KX-Driver but is recognized by the windows vista driver which you can add in at a later time but the game port is so obsolete these days it would not really matter anyhow.  It worked for me hope it does for you as well.

6 Posts

November 25th, 2012 19:00

www.Softpedia.com

No Events found!