Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2013 11:00

Dimension E310 sound drivers no longer work

I have a Dimension E310 (Motherboard E210882) with XP Media Center '02 SP3. It used to be my son's computer and was in storage for a while before I pulled it out to use, updating the BIOS, patching the OS and removing a bunch of game-related programs, including video and audio add-ons. I now have the OS cleaned up to where I want it but I have a problem. There is now no audio at all. The SigmaTel High Def. Audio CODEC device is highlighted in the Hardware Management screen. The driver version I have is 5.10.0.4664 and the error report is "cannot load driver". I tried the suggestions in this (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3513/t/19496366.aspx ) recent thread with no luck. The audio used to work and the hardware tests perfectly with the Dell Diagnostic CD.  Suggestions?

953 Posts

October 24th, 2013 12:00

Hi DRNewcomb,

Apparently the hardware is fine because you have run the diagnostics and all tests have passed. You mentioned, “…updating the BIOS, patching the OS and removing a bunch of game-related programs, including video and audio add-ons…” Try installing the driver in the correct order (all drivers starting from Dell System Software) and check if you are able to install the audio drivers.

Please do write back to us.

13 Posts

October 24th, 2013 13:00

I did this to the best of my ability, downloading the packages, as needed. I couldn't find #3 & #4 (PCMCIA/Smartcard & Intel Matrix Storage) on the list among the downloads for the E310.  When I try to install the SigmaTel audio driver package (R114282) it produces an "Unknown Error".  The driver version currently installed is 5.10.0.4823 but this still gives a Code 39 "fail to load" error. 

I'm curious if this might be due to some incompatibility with a recent update to XP Media Center?

13 Posts

October 25th, 2013 05:00

OBTW, I don't have the original install media for this PC but I do have a Dell Win XP disc. I'm considering just doing a clean reinstall as one option.

13 Posts

October 25th, 2013 12:00

I have not uninstalled any drivers. Since they don't show up in the installed software list, I'm not exactly sure how to uninstall a driver. Is this done in the "Driver" tab in the Device Manager or do I need to delete something in C:\dell\drivers?

953 Posts

October 25th, 2013 12:00

Hi DRNewcomb,

Windows XP Disc should be sufficient to install Windows on your computer. However, I would recommend clean install of Windows as the last resort. Before you perform a clean install I would like to know if you uninstalled the existing drivers before installing the updated drivers.

953 Posts

October 28th, 2013 11:00

Hi DRNewcomb,

You can uninstall the drivers from the “Device Manager”. To uninstall the drivers from the “Device Manager”:

1. Press and hold “Windows key” on the keyboard and press the key “R”.
  2. Run dialog box will be displayed.
  3. Type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotations marks) and hit Enter.

This will open the “Device Manager” window. From you can expand the listed devices and right click to uninstall the drivers.

Hope this helps.

13 Posts

October 29th, 2013 06:00

Yes. Thanks for the clarification. I did that, uninstalling all the audio devices that had yellow triangles. When the system rebooted, the device manager showed 12 entries under audio, all will yellow triangles:

7 devices named "Microsoft Kernel .........."

3 devices named "Microsoft Streaming ........"

1 device names "Microsoft NINMM WDM Audio..."

1 device named "SigmaTel High Def CODEC"

The last one has a driver version 5.10.0.4823 and a Code 39 fail to load error.

The only other thing I noticed is that Media Center 2005 won't run. It informed me that it was not installed properly and needed to be reinstalled. It presented a black screen that I could only escape by hitting the "Windows Key". I tried downloading Media Center 2005 from Microsoft but the link for that  just leads to a screen saver.

953 Posts

October 29th, 2013 07:00

Hi DRNewcomb,

After all the drivers are un-installed, are you able to install the audio driver downloaded from our support site following the correct order of drivers installation?

13 Posts

November 7th, 2013 16:00

I got tired of going around and around in circles, trying to uninstall and reinstall the drivers with no success. I slicked the disk and reloaded Windows XP. I've updated to SP3 and reloaded the drivers. Everything works, including the sound. We'll see what happens when I add all the updates to the current time.

No Events found!