Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 14:00

Dimension E521 Video Card Upgrade

I have a Dell Dimension E521 and none of the Nvidia 9 series works in my computer because the screen fails to switch on and I'm wondering if anyone can help me which video cards are compatiable for my computer.

My PSU watage output is 305v, but I've been advised by Novatech that the watage of my PSU doesn't matter because my PSU meets Nvidia's sytem requirements.

I can't contact Dell directly because they don't support my model for some reason.

90 Posts

February 11th, 2010 21:00

Are you replacing an existing graphics card, or upgrading from the onboard video?  Did you uninstall your old drivers before installing the new card?  Did you install the drivers for the new Nvidia card?  Does the new card have a 6 pin power connector?  Did you plug it in?  (Assuming your power supply has one.)

Which Nvidia 9 series card do you have?  There is a significant difference in power demands from a 9300CE to a 9800GTX.  Even the 9600GT or GSO may require more power than your stock 305W unit can provide.  Are you running additional peripherals in your machine?  (extra hard drives, memory, optical drives?)

Let us know more details, and maybe we can get you headed in the right direction.

381 Posts

February 12th, 2010 10:00

WRT the 7300 video card, you can get this driver from www.nvidia.com .  I always do this to have the latest driver.

On newer power supplies, there is a six pin PCIexpress power connector (even 6+2 for the newest cards and PSUs).

The 9400 should be around 150% faster for you than the 7300.  I would download the drivers for the 9400 from nvidia as well.

I assume that you mean that the monitor does not even come on at bootup.

A 9400GT only draws 50W.  What brand of 9400GT did you get?

David

February 12th, 2010 10:00

I'm replacing an existing video card which is the Nvdia 7300 and I didn't uninstall the old drivers. If I uninstall the old drivers and I find that the new video card doesn't work, I wouldn't be able to reinstall the old drivers because I no longer have the cd to my 7300 video card.

Can you please explain what a 6 pin power connector is?

And yes, I did plug it in because the fan in the video card was working. The Nvidia video card I purchased was the 9400 one and my computer has 3 gigabyte of memory, plus a Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS sound card.

February 12th, 2010 12:00

I've got it working! All I needed to do was disable my old video card!

February 12th, 2010 12:00

WRT the 7300 video card, you can get this driver from www.nvidia.com .  I always do this to have the latest driver.

On newer power supplies, there is a six pin PCIexpress power connector (even 6+2 for the newest cards and PSUs).

The 9400 should be around 150% faster for you than the 7300.  I would download the drivers for the 9400 from nvidia as well.

I assume that you mean that the monitor does not even come on at bootup.

A 9400GT only draws 50W.  What brand of 9400GT did you get?

David

The packaging says:

"Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT"

I've tried installing the drivers for the new video card, but the monitor still refuses to switch on!

381 Posts

February 12th, 2010 13:00

Congratulations!  Let me know if it feels two and a half times faster.  ;-)

David

February 13th, 2010 10:00

Since restarting my computer, Windows has failed to load because there was a hardware problem and it seems it's my GeForce 9400 Video card. I reinserted my GeForce 7300 video card and that works perfectly fine.

Why has my GeForce 9400 video card suddenly caused problems?

February 13th, 2010 13:00

I've fixed the problem now.

7 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 14:00

hi,

i was wondering what were your issues at the end..you said you fixed it right?   I too need to upgrad my Dell dimension E521 , i had an ATI X1300PRO  preinstalled when i bought it.  now im confused which card i can go for ..considering the size, the power limit etc. its really frustrating ..becasue not mnay cards will work with the E521 . I know i should chnage my power supply..but if im going to do that..i might as well just by a new gaming pc.  anyway... back to graphics card, i too have come to the decision that maybe 9400GT maybe the best card for me.. it takes low power too.  I want to ask you..how is your card running?  has it made a noticable chnage in quality of movies , graphics etc?  

Also do you know which is the best ATI card that will go well with E521? - basing on the E521 power intake, less noise etc and  of course PCI-express X16

6 Posts

March 5th, 2010 06:00

Can you explain what you did to fix the problem as I am in a similar

position?

No Events found!