Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

August 19th, 2011 14:00

Dimension needs multiple boots to run properly ???

I need to boot my Dimension 8200 3-4 times (switching off the power at power strip and turn it back on) for all the programs to run properly.

I boot normally, the screen loads fine, but if I try to run a few apps such as Firefox. The app will start to load, then nothing. From there no other apps will run, and the windows shut down and restart do not work.

I then have to cut the power, and then turn it back on (via power strip) which boots the Dimension again. The OS loads, screen appears as normal, icons and all but again certain apps will not run.

If I repeat this process of boot, cut power, reboot 3-4 times on average eventually all will work fine.

So far, I've installed a new ( C: )  Hard Drive. (west Digital) and freshly re-installed Windows XP multiple times.  Along with most apps.

Thank you, Bob                         

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 19th, 2011 17:00

Try reseating RAM and continuity modules and PCI cards in their slots. Use canned air to blow out the dust bunnies while you're in there.  When was last time you replaced the motherboard battery?

Open Windows Event Viewer and see if there are any error messages around the time of a freeze, such as "thermal event" which would indicate it's overheating. In that case, check that fans are clean and working and clean out air vents with canned air. And check that heat sink is properly locked in place on top of CPU.

Possible failing power supply..??

Ron

No Events found!