Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2008 04:00

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Display driver nvlddmkm not responding but has recovered I keep getting this error message. I DID NOT update or install any drivers and this message has been happening very, very often and crashes the system. Please, could someone help me resolve this issue?

108 Posts

Uh, what machine, OS and video card?

Let me guess... Vista and NVIDIA.  Make and models?

18 Posts

XPS 720 Vista 32-bit GeForce 8800GT 512 Mb I have had this system for about 2 months, and it was running fine and smoothly. This started happening about 4-5 days ago. I tried the various "fixes" on other forums, hasn't fixed the issue. How to make text on next line? I tried ENTER but it keeps lumping all text together.

Message Edited by _GURU_ on 01-05-2008 01:38 AM

418 Posts

January 5th, 2008 11:00

_GURU_ wrote:
XPS 720 Vista 32-bit GeForce 8800GT 512 Mb I have had this system for about 2 months, and it was running fine and smoothly. This started happening about 4-5 days ago. I tried the various "fixes" on other forums, hasn't fixed the issue. How to make text on next line? I tried ENTER but it keeps lumping all text together.

Message Edited by _GURU_ on 01-05-2008 01:38 AM

Follow Dell-Chris instructions, However I am going to tell you to do something a little different.

Download the latest Nvidia video drivers for your card.
Download the GURU3D driver sweaper and install.
Here is where it is going to be different:
Boot the machine into Safe Mode.
Uninstall the video drivers and let the system reboot back into Safe Mode.
In Safe Mode run the GURU3D driver sweaper.  Make sure you choose the video card drivers and NOT NOT NOT the motherboard drivers.
Reboot the machine back into Safe Mode
Install the new video drivers.
Reboot as normal.

The reason behind the Safe Mode is that some times certain files are locked in use.  They can not be deleted or overwritten.  Putting the machine into safe mode will allow the files to be removed and you will get a cleaner install.

705 Posts

January 5th, 2008 17:00

I had this issue for a short while -- I don't anymore. The changes I made were :

loading nvidias latest video drivers -- though I always used drivers from nvidia site.
stopped using dreamscenes (Vista ultimate)
disabled transparency

I made many other changes, but those are the only display changes I recall.

18 Posts

January 5th, 2008 19:00

Thanks for the tips and information. I have followed it precisely, but still no luck. This is becoming very annoying, as every couple of minutes, the display hangs and displays the message. Also, sometimes it locks up the system and I have to force restart.

18 Posts

January 6th, 2008 07:00

This is nonsense really. I have uninstalled-installed the drivers maybe 20-30 times, and still the same result. I have even gotten a BSOD with the error message. In problem reports and solutions in control panel it gives me this information about the problem: This problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver. This program was created by NVIDIA Corporation. NVIDIA Corporation does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. I cannot use my excellent system because this problem is extremely crippling.

14.4K Posts

January 6th, 2008 13:00

Your still under warrenty i guess. Call Dell and have them replace the graphics card..

67 Posts

January 6th, 2008 17:00

_GURU_ wrote:
This is nonsense really. I have uninstalled-installed the drivers maybe 20-30 times, and still the same result. I have even gotten a BSOD with the error message. In problem reports and solutions in control panel it gives me this information about the problem: This problem was caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver. This program was created by NVIDIA Corporation. NVIDIA Corporation does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported. I cannot use my excellent system because this problem is extremely crippling.

My XPS 720 (converted from XPS 700) has the same symptoms. 
  • "Display driver NVLDDMKM stopped responding"
  • a floating corruption of the text/graphics being displayed on the browser, the spreadsheet, or any open program -- even the wallpaper itself (it is about 1.25 inches high and runs horizontally across the display).
  • BSOD, Stop Error 0x0000008E, Incompatible display adapter has been disabled.  ... not compatible w/driver for the VGA adapter (Video Controller (VGA Compatible) is missing?)
  • BSOD, Locale ID 1033, BCCode d1
  • "Problem caused by NVIDIA Graphics Driver . . . NVIDIA Corporation does not currently have a solution for the problem that you reported"

_GURU_, I also have reinstalled the graphics driver several times, precisely as recommended by Dell-ChrisM and others (uninstalling the driver, then cleaning up the extritus by using a driver cleaner in Safe Mode, then installing the latest nVidia driver).  Nothing helps. so far.

I am currently using BIOS A04, but it apparently IS NOT the cause of this problem, at least not all of it.  Some of my display problems occurred prior to my flashing the BIOS.

My computer has dual nVidia 7900 GS 256 cards.  My OS is Vista Ultimate.

Message Edited by Arlen1 on 01-06-2008 04:51 PM

18 Posts

January 9th, 2008 16:00

I have done a format and factory image restore. I still receive this annoying error message. I also updated Windows Vista. The issue hasn't been fixed with the latest updates. What shall we do?

2.3K Posts

March 9th, 2008 23:00

I had the exact same issue....

I even made snips of the message and had a Dell Tech do DellConnect and see it for himself.

He had me uninstall the Video Driver and reinstall it from Dell's site.

That solved the issue... and I have not seen it yet.

Hope this helps.

Peace

3 Posts

We've done that already a bunch of times. No luck whatsoever. I am already at escalation support. They are telling me at this point we must reimage.  Did your machine also work fine for a time and then start this odd behavior?  Did you do anything special when uninstalled the driver, i.e. safe mode or something else? Thanks.

3 Posts

Has anyone truly found the answer to this problem?  I am on my 2nd XPS 720 and this problem has followed an almost identical timeline down to the number of days. Basically, the machine works great for about 1.5 months and then starts the nvlddmmkm error at an ever increasing rate ech day.  Then the machine starts to lock up longer and longer each time.  Dell has no answers for me other than to reload the OS; but others posting here say that is useless...it continues to happen.  Anyone who has really solved this problem please respond.  Thanks....PLBAPLBA

18 Posts

March 10th, 2008 09:00

The problem was that one of the RAM sticks was faulty and was causing this and many other error messages.

Cheers

3 Posts

March 10th, 2008 12:00

Can you tell me how you were able to determine this?  Was it a process of elimination (i.e. taking out one stick at a time and seeing what happened)?  This is my 2nd XPS 720 system.  The first one had the exact same problems with the exact same timeline. Eventually, Dell called it a day and sent me the new system.  The reason I am asking all of this is because I am already at escalation and I don't think they will be sending me a new system this time.  I really don't want to reimage the hard drive but that is what I am being told is the only option left.  Thanks.

2.3K Posts

March 10th, 2008 21:00

@PLBAPLBA wrote:

We've done that already a bunch of times. No luck whatsoever. I am already at escalation support. They are telling me at this point we must reimage.  Did your machine also work fine for a time and then start this odd behavior?  Did you do anything special when uninstalled the driver, i.e. safe mode or something else? Thanks.

yes, mine worked fine for a few months, and then did the restarts...

once I updated the Adobe updater, all has been good.

Peace

No Events found!