Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 2nd, 2014 08:00

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Hello,

I'm getting this error "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" on my XPS8100 and have tried to solve the problem after google searches but nothing seems to work.

It's just happening anyhow, even when I'm not playing any videos, I can be using email services and it will just bring a black screen for a second and then shows that error message.

Please help resolve this issue as I've been stuck for days now

Thank you in advance

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 09:00

Refresh your windows experience index.

Download the latest flash and java.

Check windows update.

Restart Rinse and Repeat.

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 10:00

Thank you for the advice SpeedStep,

I have done everything you suggested I do, the only thing I didn't get is "Restart Rinse and Repeat", I considered it as to restart the computer.

I still get the same problem.

I have noticed that the GPU is getting used at least every 1 to 3 minutes bu 98%

6 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 12:00

I really appreciate your help.

I uninstalled the GeForce Experience, restarted the computer and still get the same problem.

I have noticed that the dwm.exe is using too much GPU, yesterday I tried to disable and stop it and to my surprise it continued using the GPU, I restarted it.

There was a solution talked about about the "regedit" which didn't also work with 2, and with 8.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 12:00

If the GPU is dying and or the GPU Fan is bad it can Lock up with the stop 0x116 (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE) error.

HOWEVER I have also found a problem may be  with the new Geforce Experience that gets downloaded with the new driver set.  Unistall this piece only and see what happens.

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2014 12:00

Hello,

It's a Windows 7, SP1

The Nvidia GeForce > GTS 240, even without that problem I was already planning to upgrade the Graphics Card, so, thank you for the suggestion. In this case I don't want to spend 100£ before I'm sure it would solve the problem.

I bought the XPS8100 in 2009, was working perfect until a week or so ago

I have also notice the power supply is 360W maximum, If it's not difficult to change it DIY I would like to upgrade to 500W or more.

How would I get Dell Technician to help me? The warranty has expired already.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 3rd, 2014 12:00

What OS is being used?

If its Not WIN7 SP1 or VISTA SP2 then there are likely other issues with the GPU being too old.

Recommended update would be GTX 750TI

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7562976

Manufacturer Part# : VCGGTX750T2XPB
Dell Part# : A7562976

6 Posts

June 4th, 2014 13:00

I have found a solution "apparently" as it has now worked for hours, which was not possible for the past few weeks.

A virus (malware or trojan...) infected the system

I downloaded Malware byte removal tool

I downloaded drive sweeper from guru3d to uninstall Nvidia driver, it asked to restart automatically so that it goes on safe mode, I accepted the risk.

Then in safe mode I run the malware byte to remove viruses, found more than 15 viruses that Microsoft defender couldn't, then quarantine all.

When restarted, the computer always started on low resolution, I just had to download and install Nvidia driver again, after install it restarted itself, and now my computer is running well again.

Thank you and I hope this helps someone else struggling with "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

1 Message

June 9th, 2014 16:00

I had the same error message on my Dell XPS 8700 computer that I purchased in January 2014. The message seemed to start popping up after I updated from Windows 8 to 8.1. I worked with the Dell Technical Support staff for 2 months about three times a week trying to get it fixed. I tried re-installing Windows 8 completely, and that did not work, either. They replaced my AMD Radeon 7570 video card and this did not fix it. Finally, they replaced my motherboard and the video card again, and that fixed the problem. I never used the Malware byte removal tool, but maybe that would have worked, also.
No Events found!