Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2015 05:00

Displayport to HDMI adapter does not work

Hi! I have a Dell Optiplex 7020 computer. I bought a displayport to hdmi adapter, but there is no signal found....

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 25th, 2015 21:00

We need more data. Are you trying to go from computer HDMI out to monitor DP in? If yes, that will not work. Read this. Computer DP out to monitor HDMI in should work. What specific video out ports are on the computer and what video in ports are on the monitor?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 26th, 2015 11:00

I used a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable with my 9010, with good results.

Also, does your 7020 have a discrete video card, or just the onboard video?

8 Posts

April 26th, 2015 13:00

I know that computer DP out to monitor HDMI in should work, but  when I plug the Displayport into PC  and the HDMI into my monitor I get no signal. There are 2 DisplayPort and 1 VGA ports on the computer, and 1 VGA and 1 HDMI on the monitor.

The adapter I bought is similar to this one:

www.amazon.com/.../B0017K6BDW

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 26th, 2015 14:00

I just checked: my adapter is a Startech DP-to-DVI.

Regarding the product you purchased, someone had this to say:

I had very little luck getting my laptop to detect an external display using this adapter. It seemed to work only sporadically. I eventually figured out that the connection is successful only if a significant amount of pressure is applied to the HDMI/DisplayPort connection. Not really what you want in an adapter as the picture disappears once you stop applying pressure. I was able to replicate this problem with several HDMI cables. It's a bum adapter with quality control issues.

8 Posts

Onboard video card. I cannot tell you the specific monitor model right now, because I'm not at the office.

Yes, I'm using the configuration you mentioned.

I also tested the other DP out port, but the same result. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

Ok. Are those computer video out ports onboard or are they on a discrete (added) video card? What specific monitor model?

Is this is the setup you are using?
Computer DP out --> DP to HDMI converter --> HDMI to HDMI cable --> Monitor HDMI in

Did you then open the monitor input select and choose HDMI?

Did you test the other computer DP out port?

8 Posts

April 27th, 2015 02:00

Problem solved. The monitor didn't auto-detect the HDMI port and I had to do that manually. I also had to apply more pressure on the HDMI port.

Thank you guys.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 28th, 2015 15:00

Glad to have helped!

No Events found!