Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2008 20:00

Does the 650 SLI support crossfire?

Have a SPX 63 in the production stage, soon to be shipped.  Ordered with one GE Force 8800 GT and want to have the option of installing another card for a Crossfire.  Can this be done with the older 650 SLI, which I've just discovered that motherboard has?

205 Posts

The 7xx Series XPS's have a newer chipset from my understanding.  And using VISTA on the 630 you can order the ATI Crossfire capable cards as well.  I went with the Nvidia based GeForce cards due to their manufacturer compatability with the motherboard, but that is a personal preference.

Several people have noted that they wish that the XPS 630 had come with the 680i chipset vs the 650i but that is an entirely different discussion that could be found throughout the forum in several places.

Message Edited by Lonewolf_NW08 on 06-03-2008 03:19 PM

9 Posts

Thank you for the very timely response... Was very worried about that.  The shipment goes out tomorrow and was browsing through some forums; discovered reason to doubt.  I trust this forum... At this point (after discovering that the motherboard has the 650 chip), why the board comes with that older chip anyhow???  Considering the cost of the complete assmbly, I would have been willing to go the extra necessary to bring the whole system up to date.  Do you know the answer to that one?

Again, thank you.

205 Posts

The 8800GT is an SLI card, not a crossfire, and Yes the 630 works quite well with dual 8800gt's in SLI mode.

205 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 21:00

First, did you order from the USA site?  If so then you can relax.

The only cards that you could of configured the XPS 630 - Windows XP build with are as follows 

Single nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512 card

or 

Dual 256MB Radeon ATI HD 2600 XT  

or

Dual nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB

More than likely you ordered the Single Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT card.

You are mixing your terms up.  "Crossfire" and "Radeon" are trademarks of ATI based cards, while "GeForce" and "SLI" are the trademarks for Nvidia based cards. 

Message Edited by Lonewolf_NW08 on 06-03-2008 03:17 PM
Message Edited by Lonewolf_NW08 on 06-03-2008 03:18 PM

9 Posts

Whew.. THANK YOU for straightening me out on this.  Yes, it is the NIVIDIA card (8800 GT) and I ordered only one, with the possibility of installing another if needed.  Did not know distinction between the term "Crossfire" in as far as manufacturer is concerned, only what it means. 

An example of that is, my background is mechanical and the term "OEM" takes on very different meaning depending upon where it's used; for me and probably you, it means Original Equipment Manufacture.  On E-Bay, it basically means stripped of all except the basics.  I learned that one the hard way.

Thanks to you, I learned this easy.  Have a good evening.

Larry  

9 Posts

Oh-Oh... I may have a problem.  Ordered the system with XP Pro.  Why?  Because I'm kind of attached to it, I guess; seriously though, XP is one of the very best MS has put out so far and it's dependable.  Waiting for Windows 7 to break out.

But, if it cannot handle the NVIDIA 8800 crossfired cards, there may have been an error made here.

Thank you again.

No Events found!