Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2011 17:00

Does the Inspiron 580s have room for a second internal hard drive?

Does anyone know if the Inspiron 580s has room and supports a second internal hard drive?

Thanks,

Mike

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2011 17:00

Mike McCollister  

Yes, the 580s supports two SATA hard drives and is a bay for the additional hard drive.

To install a second hard drive, you need four 'Dell Hard Drive Shoulder Mounting Screws', [part # WN322] that are used to install both HHD and optical drives, in the Inspiron 580s Slim Tower.

You will need to buy a SATA data cable, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 21:00

max faded

The Inspiron 580s supports a low profile PCI Express x 16 graphics card, the motherboard has one PCIe x16 slot [#23], you can find the motherboard's details, here,

The details for installiing the PCIe x16 card, are here,

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

41 Posts

May 11th, 2012 11:00

I have 580s, 64-bit win7... the equipped hard drive is only 300 GB's, and I want the security of having two destinations to back-up my content on, so besides my external hard drive... I was planning on adding a second internal hard drive (Western Digital Caviar Green 2 TB Desktop Hard Drive WD20EARXl) mainly as a storage drive only. My question is... will having a bigger drive that's not the main drive cause any conflicts?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 11th, 2012 11:00

max faded

You should have no issues with adding the SATA 2tb hard drive, as the secondary drive.

Bev.

41 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 19:00

sorry for a follow up question, but im not sure who or where to ask... my 1st thought was here, and you  :)

Im adding a graphics card as well to my inspiron 580s, but never put one in before .... there are 4 slots, 2 seem like they house the video card and are seperated by 2 in the middle that wont. The one next to the power supply is empty and there is another one with some sort of card like thingy that has some sort of hdmi purpose. I was originally going to put it in place of the hdmi, untill i noticed the bare slot next to the power supply. Any idea which one i should use? my preference would be to replace the hdmi card thing if possible.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

max faded

You are welcome.

Bev.

41 Posts

That documentation was just what i needed, it was the slot taken by a hdmi thing after all, and thank you bev for helping make the most out of my computer :D

41 Posts

September 7th, 2012 04:00

Hello again Bev ... I was wondering if you could recommend a power supply for me ... same computer (dell inspiron 580s) , currently has all the power options taken on the stock power supply... I'm looking to add a usb 3.0 and a 1tb 2.5 hard drive to go in the empty space in my dual bay next to the ssd. (the dual sata power connector thing is taken up by a 2tb 3.5 and a 256gb 2.5 ssd) ... so i guess what i need is a psu with the same connections as the stock one, but also with an extra sata and 4pin molex connection. i would have just googled and found one but ive read that some arent compatible with dell?... im nit sure.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 7th, 2012 10:00

max faded

Please post a link to the power supply you Googled.

You could use SATA power Y splitters, similar to this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200468

Together with a SATA to 4-pin Molex adaptor, like this,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226018

Compatible TFX power supplies can be purchased from here,

http://pointtek.ecrater.com/search.php?keywords=dell&x=56&y=7

Bev.

41 Posts

September 8th, 2012 08:00

I can't seem to find the ones I was looking at, but I'm almost certain they weren't "TFX" (I'm assuming that bit is important)

I looked through that link you posted and may choose one of those, but concerned about the amount of sata connectors as all only list having 2... I kinda need 5 (3 hard drives, a disc drive and the added usb 3.0)

my current psu has 2 also, one already has 2 connectors (currently powering hard drives) and the other powering the disc drive.

Is it possible to split 2 sata connectors into 5? seems like it would not be recommended.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 8th, 2012 10:00

I can't seem to find the ones I was looking at, but I'm almost certain they weren't "TFX" (I'm assuming that bit is important)

I looked through that link you posted and may choose one of those, but concerned about the amount of sata connectors as all only list having 2... I kinda need 5 (3 hard drives, a disc drive and the added usb 3.0)

my current psu has 2 also, one already has 2 connectors (currently powering hard drives) and the other powering the disc drive.

Is it possible to split 2 sata connectors into 5? seems like it would not be recommended.

max faded

Best to use only one SATA  Y power splitter on each SATA power connector, making a total of four SATA power connectors. not five.

Bev.

October 19th, 2013 06:00

Sorry to jump in on such an old thread, but I was wondering if I can add a THIRD hard drive to the Inspiron 580?  Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 19th, 2013 06:00

hunters1234

Assuming that you have a Inspiron 580 Mini Tower and not the slimline 580s version.

The easy procedure to add a third SATA hard drive, is to use an external drive.

To add a third internal hard drive, you need an open bay inside the case, plus a spare SATA motherboard connector and a SATA power connector

No SATA connector, you would need to use a SATA controller add-on card, either a PCI, or a PCIe x1 card.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-580_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

October 19th, 2013 12:00

Thank you Bev!  I have external ones, I wanted another internal one.  You have answered my question.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 19th, 2013 14:00

hunters1234

You are welcome, I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!