Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2007 13:00

Dual screen on XPS 210 - possible?

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying one of these machines since not being a games player it looks as if it does about everything I want (recording studio use with an external firewire soundcard), except I am unclear if you can connect two monitors to it. You certainly can to the Radeon X1300 Pro full size card, but the 210 has the half height card. Does this cut the mustard? If it only has the DVI connector, as I suspect, can I also use the motherboard VGA connector at the same time?

TIA,

Chris

Message Edited by ConcertinaChap on 03-20-2007 10:03 AM

12.1K Posts

March 20th, 2007 15:00

If the low profile card has two inputs ( Either two dvi or one dvi and one analog ) than yes you can have two monitors hooked up, However.....

Think very hard and long on that low profile system.  Don't care if you are not a gamer.  That system is not very upgradable, only takes half height ( low profile ) cards, and if by chance, even just one nice game that comes out and you have the urge to buy it, you will only have some mid to low range video cards to choose from.  The better cards are not made for those small systems.  No real market for them.

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,367-page,1-bid,4/video.html    click on this link, than click on the demo to see how two monitors can be set up

Dim 4400
2.6 Ghz 400 FSB
1 Gb 2100 DDR memory
Windows XP Home
120 Gb Seagate 7,200 drive
24 inch 2407 WFP
XFX 7800 GS O/C AGP
16x DVD-R
410 watt ( PcPower&Cooling )

Message Edited by SR45 on 03-20-2007 01:01 PM

March 20th, 2007 19:00

It's not quite so simple, I'm afraid. First, at the age of 55 and after 25 years in the computer business I'm pretty confident I know how I feel about games. Solitaire, Hearts and an old Unix hackers game called Larn are all I need when I feel the urge to waste some time. I'm not about to march out and buy Doom 15 or whatever, guaranteed. What I do want is a small, quiet and reasonably powerful pc to fill an important function in my studio. Second, I'm well aware of the normal requirements for dual screens. I'm typing this on a pc with two monitors that I built myself right now.

So far as I can see the Radeon X1300 Pro half height card has only one DVI connector. However there is still the original motherboard vga connector present, plus suggestions I have read elsewhere on the net that the DVI connector on the half-height card will take a splitter cable which will enable the connection of two monitors. I thought I'd ask here in the expectation that someone here would know whereof they speak.

Chris

Edited to add link: this link suggests that dual monitors is possible with the half height 256 Mb card. So how's it done?

http://www.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~id=gfx_cards_trans&~line=desktops&~lt=popup&~mode=popup&~model=xps210&~series=dimen&~tab=details

Message Edited by ConcertinaChap on 03-20-2007 03:25 PM

Message Edited by ConcertinaChap on 03-20-2007 03:25 PM

March 20th, 2007 19:00

Does the string "DMS-59" mean anything to anyone? See this link:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMS-59

Chris

12.1K Posts

March 20th, 2007 20:00

Two additional low profile cards to look at and both have two inputs for two monitors

March 21st, 2007 02:00

According to Dell manuals here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps210/en/index.htm

you can use booth Video adapters built in ( Intel) and add-on PCI-E Radeon; built in Video would use Analog and Radeon would use DVI connector; I had that copter for two weeks during Christmas and I  retuned it because it was limited as far as gaming; for typo of games you mentioned and what you intend to use I would call it perfect choice; on the plus side it is completely silent, small, very cute looking, with C2D processor and Radeon PRO VGA controller it is more than sufficient for day-day computer tasks; on the minus side, it is very easy to overturn it in upright position, since it has no stand, I have a cat roaming the desk :smileywink: also the mechanism for opening the Optical Bay  and Media Card Reader Bay is easy to open, but very tricky to close.

I am actually thinking about buying this one again, keeping it and using it for everything but gaming, than I can built my own “monster” gaming and take tame, pleasure and financial pain  :smileyhappy: doing that.

Hope it helps!

Misha

March 21st, 2007 11:00

Thanks for the link. I had found broken links for the manuals before, which could be massaged into working (nice one, Dell) but your link is better. Whereabouts does it say about the video adapters? I could find only about extending the desktop on to a tv (!) screen. Probably just looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the warning about the cat - we have a moggy too.

If I were a gaming person i'd definitely go your route and have a separate machine optimised for games. I've already got a general purpose machine, a Linux server and the machine I got for my partner, who is a graphics artist. Each I've chosen or built for its purpose. If you can stand multiple machines it's definitely the way to go.

Cheers,

Chris

March 21st, 2007 14:00

I refuse to give up hope yet. The bios setting specifies that the card will be the primary, which can either imply that the onboard card is disabled or secondary. If secondary then that's fine.

I've decided the issue's not a deal breaker, so I've gone ahead and ordered one off Dell Outlet (loaded with XP Pro. Excellent!). I'll post here when I've got it.

Cheers,

Chris

March 21st, 2007 14:00

Well I read it last night “tired” and now this morning with my “fresh” mind, so it not clear, but is sounds like it may not be possible to use booth on-board and add-on video card; the information is located under:  Service Manuals\System Setup[\System Setup Options\ Video

And could  be found here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps210/en/SM_EN/syssetup.htm#wp1055788

it says:

Primary Video:

Specifies which video controller is primary when two video controllers are present on the computer. Auto enables the add-in video controller. Onboard enables the integrated video controller.

You may have to use, from my recollection, of Radeon’s 1300 PRO booth connectors Analog and DVI, that should work with Windows feature to ether multiply or extend desktop.

Misha

March 22nd, 2007 02:00

Chris,

I have dealt today again with several different Dell OptiPlex models and on one in particularly on built-in VGA issue vs. Add-on Card issue; so I have “refreshed” my knowledge. You can only “choose “Auto” (detect) if add-on board present built-in gets disabled, or if add-on present to use built-in, there is no choice to use booth at the same time. However, speaking from my memory Radeon PRO you are getting has two connectors, VGA Analog and DVI, so using Windows Display Properties you could do “Mirror” or “Extended Desktop, “ either way you are going to be fine even without BIOS support for dual Video.  

Thanks!

Misha

March 23rd, 2007 11:00

Well, after all that the DMS 210 that has just arrived at the door definitely has a DMS-59 connector on its X1300 card with two splitter cables - one for two VGA monitors, one for two DVI. So I'm a happy bunny. The setup sheet clearly shows a DVI connector on the card though. Not a problem for me, but the terminally stupid might get confused. It was the point that misled me earlier, however. Cheers, Chris
No Events found!