Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2016 12:00

Error Installing Windows 7 on Precision T5400 with RAID 1 Configuration

Hello I need yout help to understand why i'm not able to install Windows 7 on my Workstation Precision t5400. I receive this error at the end of the installation "windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware"

I had configured a RAID 1 Array on that workstation and i suspect that the problem is due to that but i'm not sure. Can someone help how to fix it??

Tanks GIovanni

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 29th, 2016 08:00

The issue is Basic but depends on whether its the

Optional PERC 6/i PCI-e SAS/SATA hardware RAID card or onboard INTEL RST AHCI Driver.

Advanced Format Drives REQUIRE F6 drivers.

Also the Raid container must be CTRL M setup and initialized BEFORE installing the OS.

Windows 7 Requires INTEL RST 9.6

Intel RST replaces Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  HOWEVER you cannot update to your hearts content from 7 to 8 to 9 to 10 to 11 to 12 to 13 etc.  As the drivers and chipsets get newer the older ICH5 6 7 8 9 etc are dropped from support.  

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../15251
Version 9.6.0.1014  may be the max for your motherboard

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ESB2 SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH7R/DH SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5/3400 SATA RAID"
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104= "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/5 Series SATA RAID"

NEWER Versions (Not necessarily Supported on OLD chipsets)

Microsoft* .NET Framework 3.0 or newer is required to be installed on the system in order for the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology User Interface to install.  Note that not all Microsoft* Operating
Systems have .NET 3.0 or newer installed by default

The error means windows does not SEE any hard drives.

Installing Windows Vista/7/8/10 and Windows Server 2008 for a New RAID Controller

Perform the following steps to configure the driver when you add the RAID controller to a system that already has Windows Server 2008 or Windows Vista installed.

1. Insert the Windows DVD and reboot the system.

2. Select location information, such as your country and language.

3. Enter the Windows key.

4. Select the drive you want to install Windows on by highlighting your choice.

5. Select Load Driver if needed.

NOTE: You do not need this for PERC or SAS installation as the driver is native on Windows Vista/7/8/10

The driver can be provided by CD, diskette, DVD, or USB flash driver.

1. Browse to the proper location and select the driver.

2. Select Next if selected unallocated space is the target location.

3. Select Advance to create a partition for the operating system.

For information about the minimum required partition size, see the operating system documentation.

1. Select Next.

The operating system installation starts on the highlighted choice (partition or unallocated volume) and the system will reboot several times.

Do not press any keys to start from the CD/DVD.

1. Enter user and password information.

2. Enter the computer name.

3. Select the automatic Windows protection level.

4. Set the time, date, and time zone.

5. Click Start.

Windows checks your system and prompts you for the login password after a few minutes.

Community Manager

• 

2.2K Posts

July 15th, 2016 19:00

Hi Giobaxx,

If I remember correctly this system was setup to be run on Vista (and I am assuming you're trying to perform a clean install of Win7, please note this install will remove anything on the drives). Because This system was setup with Vista this will be best effort support and I cannot guarantee it working easily, but from what I recall you will need to try and use the Vista: Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Pre-OS Install) Driver and download it to a disk (possibly USB media if USB is recognized, you also might need to unzip the exe). Note this will probably need to be downloaded from another computer, but this driver is located here under serial ata: www.dell.com/.../drivers (make sure to select the correct version of OS 32/64 bit etc. even though you will be using Win 7).

After you have the driver ready you will then need to have your BIOS set to Raid (and make sure the drives are selected for the building of the raid, but it sounds like the array was already done from your post). When you are performing the clean install you will need to load the drivers (there will be an option during the install to load RAID drivers), if this step is skipped it will typically result in error you're seeing.

Here are a few links discussing the process: en.community.dell.com/.../19268643 in more detail, and different ways of doing this since it is a Raid 1

and here are details on the install support.microsoft.com/.../2466753 (please note that this page it is only to detail the portion of installing the drivers -prior to the OS).

I hope this helps,

Brad

July 15th, 2016 22:00

What Brad said is 100% correct, but to get the drivers to work, you may need to go into the "properties" of the .exe after importing it to your desktop and telling it to run in Vista compatibility mode.

30 Posts

July 29th, 2016 07:00

tanks fot your support

No Events found!