Highlighted
darbyrae
Bronze

Error message on PC - "error auto-sensing primary hard disk drive0"

PC crashed, received the error message - "error auto-sensing primary hard disk drive0".  Can I save this PC or do I have to buy a new hard drive?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Mary G
Diamond

Re: Error message on PC - "error auto-sensing primary hard disk drive0"

A failed hard drive does not doom a pc. You should have posted your model and operating system for more specific help. Run the Dell Diagnostics extended--not the quick--hard drive test to see if the drive needs replacing. Press F12 on most computers at the very first screen to access the boot menu. Start pressing F12 as soon as  you reboot. This assumes your computer & OS require F12 to access boot menu.

0 Kudos
darbyrae
Bronze

Thanks for the quick follow up. It is a Dimension B110.  I pressed F12, got the boot device menu.  Do not see a "dell diganostics" option of the 8 items.  These are the options - 1) Normal, 2) Primary Master Drive, 3) Diskette Drive, 4) Hard-disk drive C:, 5) EDI CD-ROM device, 6) System setup, 7) IDE drive diagnostics, and 8) Boot to utility partition.

And I am running Windows XP.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

darbyrae

You need to use the 'Boot to Utility Partition' option, for diagnostics.

"When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option, or the Diagnostics option and then press <Enter> to start the 32-bit Dell Diagnostics" 

"Press the <Tab> key to highlight Test System Press <Enter> to continue to 32-bit Diagnostics"

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
darbyrae
Bronze

Tried option you noted (boot to utility program) and it would not let me go any further, it defaulted to the "strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility".  Does not look good.

dan

0 Kudos
The_Namek
Diamond

darbyrae,
Try running the IDE drive diagnostics from the boot device menu and see what the results are.

XPS One. Core2 Duo @ 2.2GHz. 2 GB DDR2-667. WD2500AAJS 250GB SATA. Intel GMA 3100 video. 20" WSXGA HD LCD. 2 Megapixel Webcam. 8X DVD±RW. 8-in-1 Media Reader. 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless. Integrated High Def Audio. Internal Bluetooth 2.0. NTSC/ATSC TV Tuner. Windows 7 Professional SP1.

0 Kudos
shesagordie
Diamond

darbyrae

"Error auto-sensing primary hard disk drive0" is displayed when the primary hard disk cannot be read or found.

First check that the IDE data and power cables are properly connected to the hard drive and morherboard, by removing and reseating them, if this does not correct the problem, then it's likely the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
darbyrae
Bronze

Thanks, tried, same error message, not looking good.

0 Kudos
darbyrae
Bronze

Checked cables and connections to all listed, guess I need a new hard drive....
0 Kudos
disord3r
Silver

Checked cables and connections to all listed, guess I need a new hard drive....

Yes, that's likely the answer. It happens.

Normally a drive will give you a bit of warning that it's going to fail - random error messages during file copy operations, OS crashes, odd noises from the HDD itself, etc. Sometimes they just up and die without warning. Assuming that a cable hasn't gone bad or the drive controller on the motherboard is still good, a new drive will most likely resolve the issue.

0 Kudos