Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2011 17:00

Error on restart for Insipiron One all in one

Every time I restart my Inspiron One all in one I get an error message and black screen about needing to check files and if I touch any key in 10 seconds it will skip this process.Which doesn't stop it. Sometimes I've needed to restart many times. Why is this happening?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 13th, 2011 17:00

Hi Tltl1,

It's likely your hard drive is having problems, and I would suggest you test it using the Dell diagnostics. To test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.
3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.
4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.
5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.
6. Select Test System.
7. Select Custom Test.
7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.
9. Click Run Tests.
10. Write down any error messages.

904 Posts

January 14th, 2011 05:00

Hi

On a computer that is running Windows 7, you use the Chkdsk.exe program to schedule a disk check during the next system startup. However, the disk check does not start correctly. Specifically, you may experience one of the following issues the next time that you start the computer:

• A countdown timer is displayed and you are prompted to press any key if you want to skip the disk check. However, after you press a key, the countdown timer continues. Eventually, the system may stop responding at the count of 1, or start without performing the disk check.
  • The countdown timer is not displayed and the disk check starts immediately.
  • The countdown timer is displayed. However, the disk check starts before the countdown timer reaches zero.

Running Hardisk Diagnostics wont detect any errors with the Hardisk, as it’s an OS issue.

This is a problem in the Microsoft products mainly with systems equipped with infrared devices.

• Windows 7 Enterprise
  • Windows 7 Home Basic
  • Windows 7 Home Premium
  • Windows 7 Professional
  • Windows 7 Starter
  • Windows 7 Ultimate

A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft.  

For more details visit the Knowledge Base Article.

It could be difficult on how to get this patch, i have put these instructions for it to be more easier for you. 

To Download the HotFix CLICK HERE

How to Download the HotFix

Ø  Once clicked on the above link, a page similar to the screenshot below would open.

Ø  Fill out the details.

Ø  Choose the correct version of Win7 OS i.e., 32bit or 64bit.

Ø  Your email id is main here, as the download link will be sent to you on that email immediately.

Ø  You will receive an email with the download link. Now the downloaded file will be password protected and the password would also be mentioned in the same email.

Ø  Apply the fix and restart the system, you will get a diskcheck , let it complete and then reboot again. The disk check message will not come again.

This should take care of your problem.

If you have any questions or any further problems do feel free to ask.

- Telson

No Events found!