Dear Chris M.,
When I re-start as per your instructions:
1. The PC starts quickly. However, if the drive was connected the USB port then it "stalls" for a while. It doesn't hand but it does pause
2. When I re-connect to the USB I hear the "detect new hardware" noise straight away but don't see any of the "installing new hardware" stuff - I hadn't uninstalled it, just disconnected as per your mail.
3. When I look in My Computer the new drive isn't there. If I look in Disk Management it "pauses" for a while (c. 1 min) saying "Connecting to Logical Disk Manager Service". The new drive isn't visible in the Disk Management window - just my C-drive and CD-ROM
4. If I look in Device Manager the drive is visible under Disk Drives as "IC35L090 AVV207-0 USB Device" and under USB controllers as "USB Mass Storage Device"
Any ideas appreciated.
I have recently upgraded to BIOS A06, but I think (I've tried so many things it begins to blur)...I think I did this after this problem occurred. I've gone back to A05 (I think I was on A04 before) and it's not made any difference.
I have downloaded the latest version of Dell's Desktop System. No difference.
I've checked the boot sequence and it's as follows:
1. Onboard or USB Floppy drive
2. Onboard SATA hard drive
3. Onboard or USB CD-ROM drive
That looks ok to me.....?
I've just plugged in a digital camera to compare. The camera is recognised - made available as drive E and is visible in Disk Management. The Iomega drive is still not visible in either of these, but is visible in device manager.
Again, any suggestions appreciated.
Message Edited by RoHe on 08-10-2005 06:35 PM
Dear Chris M and RoHe,
After a long and frustrating recovery I've ended up re-formatting my hard drive. Long story - most (all) of it my fault!
I now have a relatively clean PC that only has XP Pro and Office installed - not a lot of the other USB apps that I use e.g. digital camera, scanner....
However, to my amazement my original problem is still there! When I connect the Iomega HDD via USB it is not recognised in My Computer or Disk Management. It does appear in Device Manager under Disk Drives and USB COntrollers as a Mass Storage Device.
The drive was available earlier in the re-build process, although I don't exactly exactly which update changed this. Therefore I'm wondering if this is a Service Pack 2 issue.....?
Again, any help greatly appreciated.
Message Edited by RoHe on 08-12-2005 12:09 PM