Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2011 09:00

Factory Restore on a Inspiron 570

The Hard drive on this computer failed so thoroughly that the computer does not even detect the drive.

I bought a new 500 GB SATA drive and attempted to restore from the disks I created, but the restore

program says it requires a hard drive with a minimum of 589 GB.  How can this program POSSIBLY

need that much space for the restore?????  And are there any other unpleasant surprises waiting for

me if I buy a larger drive?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 21st, 2011 10:00

How did you create the discs?  Windows 7 has a backup but looking at the instructions from Microsoft  Click Me  it looks like you need to have Windows installed.  I suspect you will need the Dell Windows 7 disc (and drivers) to install. If you are in the US, HERE is the Dell disc request form.

April 21st, 2011 15:00

I used the utility provided by Dell to create a full restore disk set.  This was done before the

hard drive croaked.  Supposedly this set will perform a function similiar to the recovery

partition, restoring to factory condition.  Since the original hard dirve is not detected, using

the partition is not possible.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 21st, 2011 16:00

According to the THIS Dell procedure if you created the backup with Dell DataSafe you need the Recovery Partition.   As you don't have this you will have to do the "manual" install which requires discs.  If you are still in warranty, call Dell support.  If not, use the link I provided in my original post to request a set of "backup" discs from Dell.

Dell Manual Install procedure.

322 Posts

April 21st, 2011 17:00

Hello Phoenix_2112

You should use a drive same size as the original disk. Not that it needs that much

in size as it tries to maintain disk structure. This is a microsoft deal not Dell. You will

have same problem if you use Win 7 backup and recovery. If you get a set of disk

you will have no problem installing win 7 to a 500 GB drive. If you do get a set of

disk you will need to install all your drivers in correct order. Or you can get a larger

drive. Seems like that one time make your own set of recovery disk doesn't work

when you down size the drive.

Hope this helps.

Tom

April 22nd, 2011 10:00

Thanks to all for the help.  I ordered a 1TB drive, according to what I'm reading from Dell's site

I should be able to do a factory restore from the disks I created.

No Events found!