Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 10th, 2007 21:00

Fan "buzzing/loud humming noise

The fan on my computer (Dimension L1100R, Model # 113724101, operating system is XP.) periodically makes a loud buzzing/humming noise. It doesn't do it all the time, but every once and awhile. Just last week and last night it was doing it again. Last night it would make the buzzing/humming noise, then stop, and start and stop again, and then it just constantly made the noise for a little while...then stopped. Other times it's done this, I've vacuumed the back where the fan is (but not taking it apart) and I always keep the cabinet door open so air gets in; also I just turn the computer off for awhile, then when I turn it on again, it's fine for ahwile.
I talked to my local computer shop today, described the problem to them like I just did here, and they told me either the fan or the harddrive is going out, and I should make a back-up disc of everything in case it goes out. Is there anything more I can do to prevent my computer from going out? they told me at the shop It'd cost $80 to replace the fan. This computer was purchased 6 years ago, and I'm not sure it's worth sticking money into it anymore...although right now I can't afford a new computer lol.

Anyways,one other thing...I've never backed up my harddrive before, don't know how to do that...is there a link to info on how I'd go about doing that?

Thanks.

Message Edited by dcmillerco on 09-10-2007 05:36 PM

Message Edited by dcmillerco on 09-10-2007 05:37 PM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 11th, 2007 01:00

dcmillerco

How to Back Up Data to a CD using Windows XP.

Put the $80 towards buying a new system, it does not make sense to spending $80, on a computer, worth maybe $50-$75.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

14 Posts

September 12th, 2007 23:00

http://www.udel.edu/topics/backups/cdrwdisc.html

Ok I went to that link, and where it says

1. Click All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Backup.

I did that, and on my computer I didn't see an option for "Backup" now what?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 13th, 2007 03:00

dcmillerco

See if this helps.

Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition.

How to use the Backup Utility to Back Up Files and Folders in Windows XP Home Edition.

This discussion on 'Backing Up to a CD' should also help.

Bev.

14 Posts

September 14th, 2007 19:00

Thanks for all the info! I got backup installed and everything.

But, one (maybe stupid) question, but I was wondering, you backup your harddrive (or whatever you want saved) and all is good, but you know, I save new things all the time to my computer (ex. pictures, videos, other files etc.) can you keep saving new stuff to the same CD-R disc that was made, or would I have to keep backing up my stuff with a brand new disc?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2007 20:00

dcmillerco

That's great. :)

No, as CD-R discs are cheap, it's advisable to use a new CD for every backup.

Bev.

14 Posts

September 14th, 2007 21:00

Thanks! More questions:smileyindifferent: lol...ok,

I want to backup the "My Documents" folder...which, I'm pretty sure is more than 700 MB (max # of MB's that you can hold on a CD-R) so I'm not sure that everything in the "My Documents" folder would fit on a single disc? would you have to have 2 or more separate discs to backup everything I want to?

Also, not sure if this question goes here, but I'd like to backup all my messages in Outlook Express...is there any way to do that?

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2007 22:00

dcmillerco

You could try burning everything, to one CD and see what happens.

See if either this or this can help with backing up Outlook Express.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 15th, 2007 21:00

@dcmillerco wrote:
Ahhh I keep thinking of questions :smileyindifferent:

Alright, I read you have to format a cd before you do a backup...my question is...once you format the cd, can you take it out of the drive, and do the backup later, or do you have to do the backup right away once the cd is formatted?

:mansad:

Message Edited by dcmillerco on 09-15-2007 05:18 PM

Don't know, because I've always formatted the disc prior to burning.

Bev.

14 Posts

September 15th, 2007 21:00

Ahhh I keep thinking of questions :smileyindifferent:

Alright, I read you have to format a cd before you do a backup...my question is...once you format the cd, can you take it out of the drive, and do the backup later, or do you have to do the backup right away once the cd is formatted?

:mansad:

Message Edited by dcmillerco on 09-15-2007 05:18 PM

14 Posts

September 27th, 2007 00:00

Ok, so my computer is still making the humming noise...and I don't think it's the fan in the back of the computer that is the problem...it makes almost like an on and off  vibrating noise...and when it made the noise again before, I put my hands on the CPU, and it felt like it was vibrating...it's so weird...you think it could be the fan(s) or what? and just a few minutes ago, I turned my comp. back on after a couple hours, and right when I pressed the button on the CPU to turn it on, it started making the noise...ummm I don't think that's a good sign. Could it be the hard drive going kaput? also, it seems to make noise when I maybe have too many windows open, or a couple programs running at the same time, or when I'm downloading something etc. I don't know anymore. Help! lol.
No Events found!