Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2012 21:00

Getting stuck on Welcome Screen

I have the following basic system setup :

Precision T7500 (Xeon 3.4GHz + 12GB ECC Memory, 2.5GB Quattro Graphics, Internal Wireless/LAN adaptor(

I have the following items plugged into it :
2 x Drobo Backup Robots (at 8TB each) plugged into rear.
1 x Powered USB hub which has :
  2 x Apple charging cables (not in use)
  1 x Logitech C910 HD Webcam
  1 x eeePad Transformer charging cable
  1 x Unifying Receiver (Logitech)
  1 x Charging cable (for Logitech Mice/Keyboard)
1 x Bluetooth receiver

The system is running Windows 7 and I have the following software :
  Acronis True Image (using the second Drobo)
  Trend Micro Maximum Security 2012
  Adobe Web Developer CS 5.5

Today I cannot get the computer to boot through to the actual desktop with it only getting through to the "Welcome" screen.  I attempted to restart the computer and I get the same issue (after logging in).  It also does this in Start Mode.  So I pulled everything out and it started fine (actually it started much quicker than it usually does).

During one attempt I got into the desktop but ended up with the following error :
OK_c_pers.exe has stopped working.......

I've done a bit of a search on this but no one seems to know what it is.
Windows Explorer then stopped running and I had to reboot again.

I'm wondering if one of the Drobo's is causing an issue?

22 Posts

March 21st, 2012 00:00

Just a quick suggestion, make sure that for some reason your boot order hasn't changed and the system is booting from the right location with your OS in it.

129 Posts

March 21st, 2012 01:00

I'll have a look.

Doubt this is the issue though as the PC is still booting into the Logon screen for Win 7 but after accepting my password (which is correct) it just sits there with "welcome" sitting on the screen.

22 Posts

March 21st, 2012 03:00

Have you tried starting up in safe mode?

129 Posts

March 21st, 2012 03:00

Yes I have the same problem in Safe Mode as well.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 21st, 2012 19:00

Disconnect everything except the keyboard, mouse, and monitor and see if it will boot properly.

Nice system. Did you ever get a good Battery Backup UPS (like an APC) ? At least this Precision worked longer than the original Alienware.

To see if the computer is working ... and the problem is just the HDD or software, trying booting up a bootable CD-ROM (Diags disc, etc.)

lifehacker.com/.../best-computer-diagnostic-tools

129 Posts

March 21st, 2012 20:00

Yep I did get a good batter backup as advised.  Since setting it up it hasn't moved above 240V and hasn't gone below 237V (it has a power readout as well).

I have managed to get it to start by pulling everything out.  I haven't gotten round to plugging it all back in yet (one at a time) to figure out which is causing the issue.  My bet it's the second Drobo unit being used by Acronis as I had some difficulty accessing some files recently.  I don't know, would it get stuck verifying 8TB?

Anyway, will see how we go.  I was considering reformatting it soon as its been running kinda slow lately but after unplugging everything its booting quick.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 21st, 2012 22:00

Yep I did get a good batter backup as advised.

Good , sounds like a good one.

1. I have managed to get it to start by pulling everything out.

2. ... plugging it all back in yet (one at a time) to figure out which is causing the issue.  

3. unplugging everything its booting quick.

1. Good work

2. Yes, that's the way ... one-at-a-time.

3. Yes, sounds like something was holding it down. After you find the one thing, then you can trouble-shoot it individually.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 28th, 2012 19:00

At least you know the Precision PC is fine, and that it's the Drobo that needs fixing.

I have a feeling you are about to get much more familiar with Drobo internal troubleshooting. :emotion-1:

129 Posts

March 28th, 2012 19:00

Looks like it's one of my Drobo's after all.  Not quite sure what the issue is as the lights on the unit are coming on properly (to indicate that all drives within it are good and running properly).

Will contact Drobo directly to see what they can offer (1 is working but the other is not.  Both have 4x2TB Green Caviers in them).

129 Posts

March 28th, 2012 20:00

lol

I have a sneaking suspicion you may be correct on that level. *sigh*

No Events found!