Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2003 19:00

HORRIBLE screeching noise at startup!

Hi all,

I have a huge problem. 

For a few months now I've noticed a horrible screeching/grinding noise on startup.  It dies down to a loud hum after my computer boots up. 

Also, and I dont know if this is related or not, I notice that my monitor occasionally dims a bit when a bright page is opened. (google, for example) 

I have an Dimension XPS 800.

Does anyone have a clue as to what might be causing these problems?  I'm not under warranty anymore so I'd like a little advice.  ANY help would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance!!!

1.1K Posts

November 4th, 2003 20:00

tinabeen,

Open the system and power it up and see if you can determine where the noise is coming from. Most likely it is one of the fans in your system or a drive. Once you have determined what is making the noise you may have your answer to your other question. If your video card has a fan that may be the problem and the cause of the dimming.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 4th, 2003 20:00

tinabeen.

See if the following article can locate the noise.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2003 03:00

I have the exact same problem.  Following the directions in the link that the above person posted, it looks (or rather it sounds) like it is the video card, because when I unplugged that,  the sound was gone when the machine restarted.  However, I of course couldn't see the screen, and the machine sounded like it just kept re-starting.  It was weird.

So what is this problem, and what's making the nasty noise if the video card appears to be working just fine?

I guess my next step is to email Dell support.

Tinabeen, did you ever find the source of your noise and what was your resolution?

Message Edited by briforge on 12-01-2003 11:03 PM

1.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2003 12:00

briforge,

Does your video card have a fan? If it does not then it is one of the chips that is causing the noise. This indicates that the chip is either overheating or that it is getting ready to go out.

4 Posts

December 2nd, 2003 15:00

It looks like it has a fan, yes (I'm a programmer but a newbie at the inside of PCs, go figure).  It's this green plastic monstrosity that sits like a hood over the video card, but it's only attached by this little clip that can be bent out of the way to remove the card.

It's been making this sounds for months.  Yes, I'm a bad, bad PC owner for letting it go on that long.  I finally took a look last night because I thought it sounded like it was getting worse.

No Events found!